A-Mazin-smoker

I have one, and sadly have only used it once to smoke some cheese. The smoker worked great- just as it was advertised, I belive my problem was with the saw dust used; "Grape vine". It sounded nice, but was very bitter. I'd like to try it again and am looking for some recipes. I'de be interested in hearing how you fare.

I used mine just as the instructions suggessted i filled the maze up, leveled off the dust, and "ramped" the leading edge. I used a small cookers torch to get it lit and then just let it go. it worked like a charm.

It got a bit messy filling the saw dust and would probably put the maze on a cookie sheet or something when filling to collect the excess and not have a pile of saw dust on the table. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am having trouble keeping it lit in my wsm, since it's fairly air tight. No trouble with my el-cheapo side fire box Char-griller, that thing leaks air like crazy!

I use the Amaze-N-Pellet smoker all the time....I imagine it's the same with dust.
Works great for cold smoke in the WSM. It will not work in tandem with charcoal in the WSM, however, as the burning charcoal consumes most of the available oxygen.
I just load it up, light one or both sides with a torch, and let it flame for about 10 minutes to get a good base of embers. Relight to flame if necessary.
Then blow out the flames, and put it all alone in your charcoal ring with the vents wide open. Use the empty water pan as a smoke diffuser.
If you follow these instructions, you won't have any problems keeping it lit.

Last edited:
Ditto what Chris said. It's fine for cold smoking, but in my experience, even the smallest charcoal fire will stop the pellets from smoldering. For warm/hot smoking, I've thought about trying a setup where the smoke maze sits outside the WSM and the smoke travels into the WSMs air intakes. But I haven't actually done any tinkering yet.

Ditto what Chris said. It's fine for cold smoking, but in my experience, even the smallest charcoal fire will stop the pellets from smoldering. For warm/hot smoking, I've thought about trying a setup where the smoke maze sits outside the WSM and the smoke travels into the WSMs air intakes. But I haven't actually done any tinkering yet.

Yeah, I'm sure something like a metal mail box with ducting going to a cutout on an unused spare door or even to a vent (as you said) could be fabricated.
But for warm/hot smoking in the WSM, I'll stick with chunks.

Back