A good read on "Jerk".

Interesting read, Mike...thanks. Interesting enough to cause me to order a jar of Walkerswood (mild version). I'd like to try the original spicy version, but the rest of my family definitely wouldn't be able to take the heat.

Interesting read, Mike...thanks. Interesting enough to cause me to order a jar of Walkerswood (mild version). I'd like to try the original spicy version, but the rest of my family definitely wouldn't be able to take the heat.

Yes, it is quite spicy.

I roasted some almonds in this the other day - turned out pretty good! (10 minutes in the oven, no preheat, just set it to hit 400F)

You'll like the Walkerswood Jerome. There's a wing recipe on here somewhere I've followed using Walkerswood and was good. Welcome to the site!

for wings just use it as a rub then Q it up as usual! (~45 minutes @ ~400F..... I like to take wings to an internal of around 195F)

>edit - I'd better throw mine in a zip-lock bag w/ walkerswood for lunch tomorrow..........

Mike, it WAS good! try it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed :)

Clint I've got the seasoning but getting the marinade before the weekend. Wanna try them soaked in that stuff overnight. The recipe I followed on here was called " daughtery recipe" I think but can't find it.

I haven't tried the marinade yet.....I've bot 2 of these (4 total), just emptied my first jar doing those nuts. Let me know how it is! When I did my wings overnight in the paste I just stirred them around in a bowl w/ a rubber spatula & then threw them on the grill the next day I think

I haven't tried the marinade yet.....I've bot 2 of these (4 total), just emptied my first jar doing those nuts. Let me know how it is! When I did my wings overnight in the paste I just stirred them around in a bowl w/ a rubber spatula & then threw them on the grill the next day I think
That's what I have. World Market luckily sells Walkers here. Whats your recipe on the almonds? I eat them all the time and know they have to be good in this seasoning.

That's what I have. World Market luckily sells Walkers here. Whats your recipe on the almonds? I eat them all the time and know they have to be good in this seasoning.

It's pretty easy to make.. (a lot of onions) if there's interest I can post a recipe in the recipe forums.

It's pretty easy to make.. (a lot of onions) if there's interest I can post a recipe in the recipe forums.
J Reyes, are you talking about the marinade or the almonds? I was curious about the almonds. I know I couldn't duplicate the marinade. (i don't think anyway)

OT: for the almonds I just took ~2 Tbsp of the paste, ~1 Tbsp of EVOO in a gallon zip-lock bag, poured in ~3/4# of almonds, shook it up, then I spread the almonds on a sheet of foil on the upper rack of the indoor oven :). I don't really pre-heat the oven, but I turned it on probably when I decided they sounded good & decided to make some. If you're going to pre-heat (not a bad idea), set it to 375F & start checking them around 8 minutes. ...if you pre-heat, 8 minutes might not be quite enough, 9 might be just right, and 10 might be burned....... err to the side of shorter time, & spread them out for rapid cooling. It's easy but you know... .....the flavor held up well, a lot of the spiciness was mellowed, the spices didn't burn. I really enjoyed them, so did my friends.

......J Reyes - please post the jerk recipe!

Last edited:
Yes, it is quite spicy.

Mike,
I tried the Walkerswood on plain old pork chops marinated in the paste overnight and cooked on the gas grill. It was quite flavorful. I can't wait to try to do a more authentic version on my Performer. If I can't get my hands on pimento wood, do you know of a reasonable approximation using other species of wood?

Mike,
I tried the Walkerswood on plain old pork chops marinated in the paste overnight and cooked on the gas grill. It was quite flavorful. I can't wait to try to do a more authentic version on my Performer. If I can't get my hands on pimento wood, do you know of a reasonable approximation using other species of wood?

I really dont know of anything other than allspice berrys, allspice is Pimento, but i dont know if you can smoke the berrys, doubt it but worth a try.

Yes the berries can be smoked with and are a good substitute for pimento wood which is very hard to find.

Tip I learned from Kevin, make small foil packets of berries and poke a whole in it and bury several in your unlit charcoal for long cooks. You can also throw a handful on lit coals on shorter cooks but they burn up fast. I get them at a local carribean market and the are cheap.

OT: for the almonds I just took ~2 Tbsp of the paste, ~1 Tbsp of EVOO in a gallon zip-lock bag, poured in ~3/4# of almonds, shook it up, then I spread the almonds on a sheet of foil on the upper rack of the indoor oven :). I don't really pre-heat the oven, but I turned it on probably when I decided they sounded good & decided to make some. If you're going to pre-heat (not a bad idea), set it to 375F & start checking them around 8 minutes. ...if you pre-heat, 8 minutes might not be quite enough, 9 might be just right, and 10 might be burned....... err to the side of shorter time, & spread them out for rapid cooling. It's easy but you know... .....the flavor held up well, a lot of the spiciness was mellowed, the spices didn't burn. I really enjoyed them, so did my friends.

......J Reyes - please post the jerk recipe!
Thanks Clint, I'll have to get some more almonds.

Yes the berries can be smoked with and are a good substitute for pimento wood which is very hard to find.

Tip I learned from Kevin, make small foil packets of berries and poke a whole in it and bury several in your unlit charcoal for long cooks. You can also throw a handful on lit coals on shorter cooks but they burn up fast. I get them at a local carribean market and the are cheap.

Cool, that's good to know, thanks.

J Reyes, are you talking about the marinade or the almonds? I was curious about the almonds. I know I couldn't duplicate the marinade. (i don't think anyway)

The marinade. I don't use almonds, do use all spice, nutmeg, and cinnamin, btw I use jalapenos not scotch bonnets which are too hot for me. Also after marinading I boil what's left of the marinade with some regular bbq sauce. Adds a very nice flavor. Maybe 2/3s marinde 1/3 bbq sauce.

Your tip is much appreciated! I got some allspice berries from the local asian market and can't wait to try out the smoker pouch technique this weekend.

Back