A couple firsts today (very long)

Randy Hill

TVWBB Fan
This is mostly about using a Stoker for a High Heat Cook. It may help those with the Stoker who want to try this method.

I used my Stoker for the first time today.
Cooked a Quick cook butt for the first time using the Stoker.

I got the Stoker hooked up to the WSM installed the water pan with clay pot base, loaded the charcoal ring about 3/4 full of Kingsford Briquets

I don't have any lump at the moment.Put about a dozen briquets on top along with 4 chunks of Hickory, (the same way I do it for an overnight cook) except for less charcoal in the ring and put on a 9 1/2# butt.

Left the lid vent wide open and the 2 extra bottom vents shut and tried to get the temp up with only the Stoker providing the air.

After an hour realized the Stoker could not get the temp up to 350* on its own. It got to about 270* at the grate but that was it.
I opened 1 of the other bottem vents wide open to help out with the air flow, that got the temp up to about 320*, so opened the other vent wide open, the temp came up to 350* after about 10 min.
I then shut the lid vent 1/2 way to see if the Stoker could hold the temp but the temp droped about 15* in about 5 min. So I opened the vent back up and the temp came back to 350 and the Stoker held it there for about 2 hrs
Then the temp started dropping and I realized my fuel was about 3/4 burned up, so I added another 50 or so briquets the temp came back up to 350 in a few minutes after the new fuel caught fire. (I used as much fuel for this 5 1/2 cook as I do for a 14hr cook)

I also added more Hickory since the initial load was burned up from the High temps. The temp then held at 350 for the next 2 hrs, till the fuel started running low again. By the time the temp dropped to 325* the butt was done.

As far as the Butt I rubbed with Billy Bones original rub and put it on the top grate for 3 1/2 hrs. (only about 2 hrs of that at the 350 temp) Butt temp was at about 148* I then put it in a shallow 1 1/2" deep throw away aluminum pan and covered with aluminum foil.

2hrs later butt temp was at 198* total cook time 5 1/2 hrs so took off the cooker and let it rest for a half hour the pan was full of juices and pulled it.

It pulled easy and had a good smoke ring and taste.

I personally think the low and slow makes a better butt but I am very happy with the results and would do it again.
If you have been thinking about doing a fast butt give it a try I think you will be suprised.

For those of you with a Stoker if you are going to do a high heat cook with it I recommend leaving the top vent and all bottom vents wide open and adding more lit coal at the start.
I learned a lot with this cook and the Stoker seemed to work as advertised just needed a little help with the high temp cook. I have no doubt with a low and slow the Stoker will do it on its own.

I took pics but I see I am not suppose to download to this site and don't have them on a photo storing site so no food **** for now.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Jones:
Check out photobucket.com, it's free and easy to use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I opened a photobucket acount and uploaded the pics but I have tried 3 times using 3 different methods to post a link to the site, and failed.
The last time the pics posted directly to this site which I know is a no no so I deleted.
How do I post a link to the pics on photobucket?
Not that are any different than anyother pulled pork pics, but I would like to figure this out.
Thanks

Randy, did you have to post those pics!!! My stomach started growling just looking at that great stuff. Nice job.

Back