6 Butts Possible on 22.5

Marty W

TVWBB Member
I have 6 butts to cook this weekend for my nephews graduation party. I am thinking I should be OK but now as the date draws near I want to make sure I will be able to get six on the 22.5" WSM. I an thinking 3 per rack should be pretty easy of do I need to mod the WSM to hold a third rack? I like to put my butts in alumin. pans once I hit the stall but I think I will just have to wrap these individually or do you think it will hurt to stack a couple pans on the bottom rack?

This is also the first time my BBQ will be eaten by non-family members so I am a little nervous about that as well. You know the family always loves what I cook but you never know if they are being nice or truthfully.

Anyway some tips and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You should be able to fit 3 pork shoulders, up to 10 lbs each, with ease on the 22.5. I've owned two of the larger WSMs and though I never cooked that quantity of meat at one time, I don't see any issue at all getting 30 lbs of meat per level.

6 butts is a cakewalk. lol Dave posted a link to my thread/cook which just occurred this past weekend. I've never used a pan in the WSM (other than beans) and I only foil once I pull the butts off. I've foiled ribs and can't imagine foiling butts would be any different if that's your thing.

Out of curiosity, what do you use in the water pan?

Yep. Have done 6 many times. Have actually done 8 but that is not ideal for sure. 6 works well though.

Marty,

I've done 6 butts of 8 lbs each on my 18" wsm, but I had to use skewers to hold the butts up and keep them apart. It wasn't much work at all to add the skewers, and they were super easy to remove when the butts were done, and they made all the difference in the bark by keeping them apart. You should have no problem at all with 6 on the 22" wsm. Also, another reason I used the skewers was to keep the butts away from the edges of the smoker where the heat vent is. You'll do great with your smoke and your nephew and his family will be eternally grateful (no pun intended!).

Thanks everyone for your responses. I figured I could get 6 on with no problems but just starting to let my mind over think everything.

Chad:
Once my butts hit the stall I like to put them in pans and put some apple juice in the bottom of the pan and then cover them with foil. It just seems to make a juicer product for me. Every time I have cooked them naked them seem to dry out some. I know you can get juicy pork by not wrapping but I must be doing something wrong.

Back