52 lbs Whole Pig - Need Suggestions!

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All,

It's that time of year for me as I head off to Burning Man to share our love of BBQ with the dusty masses. This year I have been tasked with cooking a whole 52 lbs pig as part of a 5 course meal. At 52 lbs it is larger than a suckling pig but smaller than a typical whole hog.

I am open to suggestions on how to cook this thing. Most threads and stuff on the internet either pertain to suckling pigs or hogs larger than 100 lbs, so I am unclear what the best approach will be for this size. Should I butterfly it? Run it at a higher temp or go low and slow? Should I shoot for crispy skin or is that unrealistic and just go for the tender meat inside? If it would fit on my EZ-Que should I use it and go that way? Is that ridiculous? I won't see the oinker until I get out to the desert so I am having trouble visualizing its size.

My general plan was to rub it, inject it, and cook it skin side down (unless I ez-que it). Beyond that I really would like some suggestions or pointers.

Thank-you!!

P.S. You should see the bacon powder I am making for one of the courses out there. I will post pics of it later when I get a chance.

pit roasted with either a dug hole or one made with cement blocks. dug hole might be better as you don't have to lug the blocks. maybe rent a big rotisserie setup ?

Back