3rd Try at Brisket

Derek Yoder

TVWBB Fan
Well I tried Brisket for the third time this past weekend. The flat was the best one yet...by far! The burnt ends were probably on the smoker about 30-45 mins too long as they were somewhat dry...not horrible, but a little bit. I'm going to try to post some pics...this is my first time posting pics so we will see if it works.

Getting ready to put it on.
imagecbr.jpg

By null at 2010-11-03

After 12 hours on the smoker and 1 1/2 hours tented in the oven.
imagekwp.jpg

By null at 2010-11-03

Here are the burnt ends.
imageiab.jpg

By null at 2010-11-03

Finally the cut flat
imagewf.jpg

By null at 2010-11-03

Derek - nice job! I myself have yet to do a brisket, but you give me inspiration to try one soon!

Thanks for sharing.

Barret

Thanks guys,
Yep pull apart even at the thickness of the slices.

Barret-Go do one. I have been smoking meat for 4-5 years now, and was always scared to do brisket due to the horror stories that I had heard, but after my third one this year I'm hooked!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Yoder:
Thanks guys,
Yep pull apart even at the thickness of the slices.

Barret-Go do one. I have been smoking meat for 4-5 years now, and was always scared to do brisket due to the horror stories that I had heard, but after my third one this year I'm hooked! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! I'm not sure why brisket has such a bad rep -- I think you either have to make a mistake or try real hard to ruin one. That's after doing my large sample of three 10 pounders -- two of them at the same time. Rich

Nothing wrong with that brisky looks great.

Mitchell u say brisket kicks ur butt every time, in what way do the briskets kick ur butt, overcooked, to tender or what.

S Mitchell- I kept temps between 235-250...took it off at 183 degrees internal temp (about 10 hours) and separated the flat and the point. I added some rub to the flat (where the point was removed from) and put it back on the smoker. I then cubed the point meat, added some rub, then put it on the smoker in the metal pans in the picture. I kept the flat on for another hour or so, then put in a pan with some apple juice and tented in the oven. I pulled out of the oven at an internal temp of about 195.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Derek Yoder:
S Mitchell- I kept temps between 235-250...took it off at 183 degrees internal temp (about 10 hours) and separated the flat and the point. I added some rub to the flat (where the point was removed from) and put it back on the smoker. I then cubed the point meat, added some rub, then put it on the smoker in the metal pans in the picture. I kept the flat on for another hour or so, then put in a pan with some apple juice and tented in the oven. I pulled out of the oven at an internal temp of about 195. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the detail, I was wondering about the burnt ends -- how much longer did you smoke THEM? Rich

After I cubed them, I put them back on for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Like I said, it was about 30-45 mins too long. They taste good, but just a tad on the dry side.

Back