321 BB Rib Method

RandyP

TVWBB Member
Hi all,
I will be doing some BB's this weekend and am wanting to use the 321 method. From everything I have been reading it seems like the 321 method is for spares and the 221 is for BB's. Does that sounf correct?

Thanks in Advance

Randy

Originally posted by RandyP:
Hi all,
I will be doing some BB's this weekend and am wanting to use the 321 method. From everything I have been reading it seems like the 321 method is for spares and the 221 is for BB's. Does that sounf correct?

Thanks in Advance

Randy

2-2-1 is typically for BB's, you are correct.

I may be in the minority here or cooking hotter than I think, but keep an eye on your ribs.

My baby backs are usually done in about 3 hours, unfoiled. I think 2-2-1 would turn them to mush.

Just my opinion, though. You need to learn what works for you.

Thanks Dave,
I know everyone does it a little bit different just trying to get some ballpark info.

I do like it falling off the bine but not mush. I think I will try the 2-1-1 method and see where they are at after that.

Thanks

Randy

If you're dead set on foiling, like others have suggested, I think one hour is tops for baby backs.

I saw a video recently of a guy smoking racks of spares at 250. He foils when they "look the color you want 'em to look when done". He starts checking the spare ribs after they're wrapped for just one hour, looking for pull back from the bones. (On this video, he unwrapped after being in foil for just an hour and a half.) Anyway, he cooked unwrapped for another hour with sauce for the last 15 min.

All this to say that I think I haven't been happy when I foiled ribs because I was thinking "321 method", instead of knowing what to look for. With baby backs, I'd check 'em probably no more than about 45 min. in foil.

Good luck and let us know how they turned out!

I do about 3 - 0.5 - 1. 30 minutes foiling I find about perfect to make very tender but still have a bit of tooth on them....any more and they are too mushy for me.

Originally posted by RandyP:
Hi all,

Thanks in Advance

Randy
No, Stogie came up with the 3-2-1 method for BB's cooked at a strick 225º temp. Many think that the 3-2-1 method is for spares but that's incorrect. Just saying.
icon_wink.gif
I don't foil my BB's at all, and if I did I wouldn't do it for 2 hrs. Your cooking temp has alot to do with how long you want to keep them in the foil, and the doneness you are shooting for also determines the length of time in foil. HTH

IMO, all great ideas...
icon_smile.gif
The way I do it (if I'm in a foil'n mood), is 4 hrs + or - 30mins for spares or BBs ....i.e. 3hrs smokin at around 225*,....then foiled in the oven @ 325* for 30mins ...check for doneness, finish as desired
icon_wink.gif

My wife hates eating stuff of a bone (yeah I know), so I had to figure out a way to smoke ribs (because I love them so much) so that you can pretty much pull the bones out, but the meat isn't mush. What I do is smoke them at 225 (can't really get much above 235 since the time is so long) for 3 hours. Then foil with pineapple juice at 230 for 3 more hours. Finally I finish on the grill to crisp up the outside. This also dries out the meat enough so that it isn't mush. I do not sauce them at all through the process, just dry rub overnight, then sprinkle them again when I finish them on the grill. Man, now I want to make some ribs.
icon_smile.gif

All good replies. In my experiences as you increase the temps you need much less time in the foil. I rarely keep in the foil over 1 hour as I feel the ribs get too soft and difficult to handle. After foil the ribs always go back on the smokier to help firm them up, this really helps the overall texture and visual appeal of the ribs.

Back