3 cooks - Observation

Luis L.

Banned
Ok, I've done 3 cooks on the 22 WSM. Nothing in the pan, just foiled. What I've noticed is that after 3 hours at 225F, temps steadily climb to 250 to 260 after that. I'm assuming it's because that their is no heat sink in the pan. Also, the cold meat has come up to temperature as well. Ok, I really don't want to use water. So I may go with the sand method. Will sand really help as a heat sink? Also, whats the proper way to put sand in the pan? Foil bottom, put sand directly in the pan, foil on top of sand? Other than this minor issue, I've got this baby dialed in.
icon_biggrin.gif
TIA

Luis, why not just use a clay saucer, old pizza stone or fire bricks. Sand certainly will work, but seems to me an invitation to eventual cleanup problems. And didn't I read a post about so other problem with sand? Anyone remember? Or maybe has used sand for a LONG time without problems?

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
Ok, I've done 3 cooks on the 22 WSM. Nothing in the pan, just foiled. What I've noticed is that after 3 hours at 225F, temps steadily climb to 250 to 260 after that. I'm assuming it's because that their is no heat sink in the pan. Also, the cold meat has come up to temperature as well. Ok, I really don't want to use water. So I may go with the sand method. Will sand really help as a heat sink? Also, whats the proper way to put sand in the pan? Foil bottom, put sand directly in the pan, foil on top of sand? Other than this minor issue, I've got this baby dialed in.
icon_biggrin.gif
TIA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Luis...I use sand exclussively, I don't trust myself around water. But here's what I noticed with my 18.5 WSM.

First, unlike water, sand is not cooling temps....it absorbs temps. Water cools temps. That means, when using water, the temps drop, which promts the fire to burn more intensely, which in turn raises temps. With water there is always a better chance to run out of fuel, although the firebox is big enough to hold temps for a very long time.

Sand on the other hand has the opposite effect. Sand absorbs temps, which keeps the fire burning with less intensity, cause it doesn't have to make up the difference....hence lower, and more importantly, steadier temps at the grate level. If you use sand, better if you put a chimney of lit coals first, then cover them with unlit coals...you will notice the temps are increasing much slower than the other way around.

When foiling up the water pan, the bottom side goes first, then the inside and after that, add sand about 3/4 of the pan, then foil the top inside of the pan twice....once for the sand, & the other time for the drippings. It is recomended to leave a bit of air between the 2 top layers of foil, that way the dripping wont start burning.

That's what I'm thinking of using too Tibor. Either sand or clay. How long does it take for sand to heat up and start radiating, increasing temperature?

Im using a clay saucer. If i choke it down to late for a low and slow i just do what i can with the 3 bottom vents to hold the temp down.

But no worries if the temp goes up to 250.

Meat will be just as good anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luis L.:
That's what I'm thinking of using too Tibor. Either sand or clay. How long does it take for sand to heat up and start radiating, increasing temperature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the temps are stabilized before you put the meat on, it really don't need much adjustments at all....that means the sand is absorbing the excess heat at a pace set up by the previously adjusted bottom vent openings. It is important to monitor the Maverick for about 10-15 minutes to make sure no adjustment is neccessary, and even if it needs some adjustments they are minimal.

One thing I predict, is that once the temps are steady, they will stay that way....for example, I went to sleep when I did my overnight pork butt....the temps were at 225, and 4 hrs later the temps were at 223 degrees when I woke up. Not bad for stability...

What size saucer Wolgast?

I'm going to pick up a 14" for the 18. I'm thinking an 18" for the 22? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luis, I've seen 14" recommended most often for the WSM 18.5.

Tibor, thanks for your description -- it sure helps, but I guess I'd still like to hear from someone who has been using sand in the WSM for years (unless that's you, Tibor -- then we're good).

Rich

Thanks a lot Tibor and Rich!!! I actually purchased 2 clay saucers earlier today. I did get the 14" and a 18" for the 22. They both fit practically perfect. The 18" saucer fits slightly higher than the lid. It may fit perfect, but I have to take off the aluminum foil between the two to really know. Can't wait to know if this actually works.

Water in the pan does nothing for keeping the meat moist. It's there to keep cooker temperatures in check. Think of it this way. If you're making chicken stock and you simmer your chicken too long (I've done this), the chicken meat will turn out really, really, really dry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Water in the pan does nothing for keeping the meat moist. It's there to keep cooker temperatures in check. Think of it this way. If you're making chicken stock and you simmer your chicken too long (I've done this), the chicken meat will turn out really, really, really dry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, and there are numerous studies and personal reports about this. The whole "water smoke" makes juicier meat is an erroneous myth.

Rich

Back