26.75 unintentional squatting / tilting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Somehow, my 2 month old kettle has developed a squatting problem. THe top rim of the bowl at front end by the handle sits 33.25 inches from the ground. The back end, by the wheels, the rim of the kettle sits 30.5 inches from the ground. It is quite the tilt. The legs do not seem bent in any way. In fact, I stared at it for 20 minutes trying to figure out the reason.

It looks as if the from legs got lengthened by a couple of inches.

Since I think that is probably impossible, perhaps the 3 "flanges" [where the top of the leg meet the bowl of the kettle] have been angled farther back than their original location. This could NOT be too far, since the wire triangle "tray" still properly connects the 3 legs near the ground.

This apparently happened when I was pulling the grill across a grass field when I took it for a BBQ at a park. It was a 100 foot drag across a lawn times 2 (there and back).

ANyone had a similar issue?

Any thoughts on fixing this?

Yes, all 3 legs are fully seated in the socket and are basically flush with the bottom of the kettle.

I even considered that perhaps the back legs (the two on the wheels) are not supposed to sit fully in the socket. But they would need to be a full 2 inches longer in order to level out the grill grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrel Williams:
This could NOT be too far, since the wire triangle "tray" still properly connects the 3 legs near the ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is the "triangle tray" level?

Yes, the triangle tray sits level about 4-5 inches above the ground where it should be.

One thing I should compare to a new unit is where the hook should be at the non-wheel corner of the triangle tray. That hook still holds the triangle tray to the front leg. But if that hook has straightened out some, it may be allowing the rear legs to slip backward. But if so, it can only have straightened out about 0.5 to 1.0 inches. It is hard to see how this lengthening of the triangle tray would lead to a nearly 3 inch tilt of the grill top.

I would flip it over, and check on how much play you have with the front leg, as you said you might have straightened out the hook some.
Just like a tripod on a transit level or camera, moving 1 or 2 legs even slightly will change your elevation.
Worst case scenario is to shorten the front leg.

Tim

Well for some reason I can't edit my last post. so... I just pulled out the 22.5 OTG, and noticed it was sitting a little bit heavy on the back-side.
Actually about 5/8". Seems the hub caps loosened up a bit which caused the legs to splay out.
Which could be part of your problem Darrel.
HTH

Tim

Edit post by clicking the folder/eraser icon at the bottom right of your post. Does it not work for you?

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Edit post by clicking the folder/eraser icon at the bottom right of your post. Does it not work for you?

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally it's there Chris. But this time it wasn't. But it's up now!!

Tim

Okay. it was just up. and now all I see is a reply with quote tab.. Am I doing something wrong?
Edit.. after that post, now it's back..
Tim

Sounds like you need to clear browser cache and TVWBB cookies. Your browser is confused.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris.
And here I thought that I was confused..
icon_smile.gif

Sorry to sidetrack your thread Darrel.
So did you find out what happened?

Tim

Tim, apparently the 3 sockets for the legs have become mis-aligned from their original position. The only thing I have done was to pull the grill across a grassy area. Apparentely the two back sockets (where the wheeled legs are) have been pulled backwards, so those legs are flared out more, causing the back end to sag.

Wow.
One would think that the thin legs would bend before the heavier spot welded sockets would give way.
Have you called Weber CS? I know the 26.75 is a hefty beast, but that doesn't seem right.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back