26.75 Leg fix

Paul Isa

TVWBB Fan
The legs on my 1968-'70 26.75 Copper Mist were pretty wobbly so I looked around for metal shims but couldn't find any at the big box stores. A mechanic told me about starter shims sold at Napa. The shims came four to a carton and were under $4.00. I tapped one end of the shim into the leg socket then bent the other end of the shim over and placed that end into the socket. I tapped the shim down into the socket until the fit was tight. The legs have no wobble now and I can easily remove the shims if need be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97609396@N07/sets/72157634873753918/

Good call, I was just checking out my 26" kettle this morning and the legs are wobbly, hard to believe Weber didn't give the 26" stouter legs, :cool:

even with shims they will soon start to wobble again. the legs are thin aluminum. i would expand the legs back out to the original size and then use some wood to fit inside the leg at the end and then install the legs. maybe even use some screws to secure the legs to the socket.

George,

Only time will tell. I'll take the $3.48 risk. Maybe it will work for a couple of seasons, maybe 43 seasons like the original legs did.

Drill 1/4" hole thru socket and leg. Insert bolt thru hole and tighten with lock washer and nut.

Back