25/25/50 short rib, brisket and chuck burgers

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Ground up around 6# beef total

First pass

1696207884520.jpeg

Formed all the patties. Around 6 oz each, 170g.

1696207973712.jpeg

Residual coals from the 3 hour turkey breast smoke. First time I’ve ever turned the grill over from smoker to grill back to back. Super easy. No issues whatever.

1696208051011.jpeg

Added some more JD. These are the larger sized pieces I usually get in a 35# bag.

1696208100897.jpeg

Shoveled the coals into a chimney and then let the chimney sit for 5 minutes. Poured over into the CBs for burgers.

1696208166538.jpeg

All set. Just need to add drip foil.

1696208198768.jpeg

Lovely! I think I've asked you this before, but what part of the brisket? I've done 50/50 short rib/chuck, but am looking to add another element.

Lovely! I think I've asked you this before, but what part of the brisket? I've done 50/50 short rib/chuck, but am looking to add another element.
I always use untrimmed flat. It’s about 70/30 on a brisket.

For the record, if you are looking for a great brisket chuck burger grind look at Creekstone Farms. We eat this burger all the time. They come in quarter pound hockey pucks. 4 to a package. You can squish them out & make patties. Or you can make them into patties of your size preference. Only downside is you have to buy 20 lbs at a time. So you have to eat them rather fast. They are a 81/19 fat blend.
Cheers,
Russ

Looks great! Educate a rookie how you got the foil in place without burning your hands?!!
A pair of these: Walfos Grilling Gloves - Heat Resistant Silicone Oven Mitt, Premium Non-Slip Silicone Internal Protective Cotton Layer, Waterproof, Great for Grilling, Kitchen and Cooking (Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FR19BQM/?tag=tvwb-20

One of these: Weber Grill Charcoal Rake, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J8J4RDV/?tag=tvwb-20

My grate has the flip up sides so I’ll tear off 4 6-8” wide heady duty foil sheets and then quickly work them into place to avoid cooking my hands.

The rake is used to gently tap down the foil so it doesn’t stand upwards so that I an rotate the grate to do the othe two areas after the first two are installed.

I usually apply the foil before I light my coals to avoid this hot hand dance. But if you’re dealing with hot metal already, this backup method works.

The more junk I keep out of the grill, the easier it is to maintain and clean. Baked on fats and oils over time are tough to get out of the grill and both are fire hazards. Grease fires are no joke.

For the record, if you are looking for a great brisket chuck burger grind look at Creekstone Farms. We eat this burger all the time. They come in quarter pound hockey pucks. 4 to a package. You can squish them out & make patties. Or you can make them into patties of your size preference. Only downside is you have to buy 20 lbs at a time. So you have to eat them rather fast. They are a 81/19 fat blend.
Cheers,
Russ
We used to eat these but now I just blend my own as it’s fresher.

If you’re into enjoying any kind of steak burger, buy the grinder attachment for a KA mixer, if you have one. It’s worth the inexpensive price.

And if you’re into making sausages or processing 10# of meat at a time, consider a dedicated meat grinder.

I'm always amazed at the volume of your cooks - That's a lot of burgers! they look great!
We were five for dinner. Oldest son and gf took 4 or 5 burgers home with them. The rest are leftovers for three of us. Larger cooks mean less cooking during the week. So maybe I have to cook 3-4 times a week. And my food is better than eating out, and less expensive too.

I get sticker shock when I see a menu these days.

Last edited:
Probably a dumb question but when you throw the chunks of meat in, I assume you alternate the meat pieces and let the grinder mix it as it goes through?

Probably a dumb question but when you throw the chunks of meat in, I assume you alternate the meat pieces and let the grinder mix it as it goes through?
It’s double ground so it doesn’t matter. The second grind does the final mixing.

Back