22" Using 18" Ring

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
I read that some guys are using the 18" ring in a 22" wsm. Just curious about how well it works/the details of cooking with it. I assume you burn through the ring fairly fast. Does it come up to temp slower?

I think this is a great question and would be interested in hearing experience using the 18" ring in the 22" as well.

I use it in mine and actually have a 2nd grate with 18" ring mounted on it so I can just swap them out. You could just use smaller amounts of charcoal in the large ring and essentially do the same thing. The smaller ring just keeps the smaller amount of charcoal in a tighter ring for better burn on smaller food loads. I used it to cook 2 chickens and some ribs two smokes ago and even ended up choking the coals out and having a fair amount left. I do not see a faster burn through of fuel with smaller ring just a smaller load in it to get same operating temps as larger ring. It just wont last as long in terms of hrs in use.

I've been using an 18 1/2" ring in my 22 1/2" WSM.
For short cooks, at a lower temperature, with a small quantity of food, it saves a little fuel.
Otherwise I'm not sure there is any real advantage over the full size ring.

Bob

I also have a small insert I use for smaller cooks because I'm lousy at estimating how much fuel I may need and don't really like using left over charcoal and it's pretty good for short high heat cooks like maybe 2-4 chickens because my inset only holds maybe 8-10 lbs of charcoal and keeps it tight for a more controlled burn.

Back