21 and a half hours in - waiting for my butts

Brian H.

TVWBB Member
My two butts are still going. I have kept the grate temp at 235 for the whole cook (You can't go wrong with the Guru and WSM). I bumped my temp up to 250 about an hour ago. The butts are sitting at 190. Close but I want to take them up to 200.

I am planning on getting them to 200 and them have them sit for 30 mins. Any harm in that short of rest? Normally I like to sit them for a couple of hours.

Of course these could be like some of the butts that I have read about where the temp just won't go up. The bones don't jiggle, but I bet I could pull them out without any meat coming with them. Suggestions....

Brian, it is rare indeed when butts take more than 20 hours. Since you are at 190 (thats when I pull mine), I would wave the white flag, foil and rest! Does the bone want to pull out ? Temp is not everything.

Wrap them for 30 minutes, that will get the temp up where you want it (or close).

Sounds like they're going to be great!!!!

Thanks for the advice, pulled them and they fell apart. Letting them sit for awhile before I pull them. Thanks

It was great. I think it was my best to date. Everyone enjoyed it. Injected it yesterday before i put it on. Thanks for the help.

Sometimes it just happens like that. I looked at the butts I was cooking today after 20 or 21 hours. Temp was just above 190 but the bone was falling out of the meat. Snatched those suckers off right then. They are great, but probably a little less time would have not hurt them.

My PBs take 20 hours or more almost everytime. Not rare at all for me. I used to cook at temps that got them done faster but they turn out better for me low and slow. moist and not greasy. jmho

I've done 14 butts the past year or so and each time they took 12-22 hours to get the internal temps up to 190. They have all been great.

Each butt is unique ya' know ......
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Most of my butts take 20 hrs+...in fact, I this weekend was the first time I got the butt to 200+ in the WSM...typically I 'give up' and pull it at 180-190 and put in 300F oven until it hits 200-205.

This latest cook was 22 hrs to get to 202F. Heck, it was 170F after 8 hrs....amazing...

My butt cooks normally average 18-22 hours (cooked 225* at the grate). The quickest cook I've ever had was 16 hours. I've read that some average 12 hour cooks and I just cannot see how.

I'm still a WMS Rookie having just completed my 4th smoke this past weekend. I cooked a 6# butt to 190 degrees in just over 12 hours. The lid temp never exceeded 225. Guess I just got lucky.

My butt cooks have been going pretty quickly. For July 4th, I did four 6-7 pound butts and they reached an internal temp of around 190 after 15 hours. Similarly, a few weeks earlier I did 2 butts (again 6-7 pounds) and they reached an internal temp of 195 after 13 hours.

Both cooks were overnighters using the Minion Method and I maintained a lid temp of 245 to 250. I assume that equates to a grate temp of 235 to 240. I know that is higher than some people cook, however each time the meat was moist, it pulled easily, had a nice smoke ring, and was delicious!!!

S Carter, delicious is the main idea for me. I dont care how many hours it takes to get to that point but delicious is the idea. I have cooked butts fast, but the bottom gets a bit crunchy from the high heat, at least that is what I had trouble with. I go to more trouble than what most folks do "hyper guy". I flip mine a couple times, mop, sop, add more rub, kinda like to play as it cooks. Be interactive. This flipping and all makes mine take longer because of the lid being off but thats OK by me. I dont use a guru, probe, or any fancy gadgets, just a therm in the top vent. One of these days I will catch up with the times but until then Ill just try to make my cooks taste delicious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
My butt cooks normally average 18-22 hours (cooked 225* at the grate). The quickest cook I've ever had was 16 hours. I've read that some average 12 hour cooks and I just cannot see how. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps the difference is with or without bone? Mine rarely take over 14-15 hours cooked at 235, they are all boneless usually about 6 lbs. or so.

-Matt

Dale,

I haven't had any problems with the bottoms getting too crunchy. I usually flip the butts once after 6-8 hours, but that is mostly because I want to see how they are coming!!!

I haven't tried any mops with my butts yet, but I may have to try that sometime. I generally just use a rub and let 'em cook.

BTW: Thus far, I have only used bone-in butts.

I thought 18 hours was a pretty log cook for a butt. You guys have surprised me to be cooking them on ave 20 or more hours. The good thing around here is you can make a statement...and get corrected. Thats one way I learn.

Back