21.5" Brisket for 18.5" cooker - what should I do?

Brad Morrell

TVWBB Member
I was planning on cooking a brisket tomorrow night. However, when my wife got home from the butcher shop tonight, I realized that she had gotten a brisket that was longer than my WSM is wide.

Any suggestions?

Should I just cut off the flat end so that it will fit?

Hey Brad

I'm sure others will help but i would just wedge it in on top otf the grill handles and let it shrink up as it cooks.Maybe put some aluminum foil under the ends to protect against the direct heat coming up the sides.

Hope your cook ends up great
Jeff

Hey Brad, Jeff's right on the money. Wedge it between the handles. It'll bow up a bit, but will shrink pretty quickly and fit just fine. Cooking fat side down will also help protect the meat from the heat. I've cooked some monster 16 pounders and have never had a problem.

Do any of your ever wrap your briskets, or just let them be au'natural throughout the entire cook?

Also, do you trim any of the fat cap, or just leave it on to protect the brisket?

Brad,

I trim fat out of what I call the "pocket", then slice off fat cap to about 1/4 inch. Then I do something most others don't do.

I make up a batch of Walter Jetton mop for briskets and do two things with the mop. I inject the brisket with the mop and then I slide the brisket into a plastic bag (I use food saver).

I pour as much of the mop into the bag containing the brisket and let it sit for 3 days in the fridge. Then let brisket come up to room temperature and cook.

I have found the mop adds a very subtle flavor which doesn't over power the meat. Probably due to using beef stock in the recipe for the mop. Plus it gives a brisket that is never dry tasting.

I have done brisket without doing my mop inject/soak thing and prefer the injected/soaked by far.

Mop Recipe (Cut recipe to make about 2 qt.s)

3 tbs. salt (note: Use kosher or canning salt)
3 tbs. dry mustard
2 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. ground bay leaf
2 tbs. chili powder
3 tbs. Lu’siana Hot Sauce (note: I assume this is Tabasco)
2 pints Worcestershire sauce
1 pint vinegar (note: white)
4 quarts bone stock (note: or use canned beef broth)
1 pint oil
3 tbs. MSG or other pep powder (note: Accent)

Make the bone stock just the way you would start a soup-buy good stout beef bones from the butcher and boil them. Add all the other ingredients and let stand overnight before using.

About 6 quarts

sometimes I go ahead and trim off the point and put it over the flat. When I do a whole brisket I usually take the point off and put back on the smoker for an hour or so anyhow. Just as easy to do it before cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
sometimes I go ahead and trim off the point and put it over the flat. When I do a whole brisket I usually take the point off and put back on the smoker for an hour or so anyhow. Just as easy to do it before cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With one that's just a little too big I tie it up with a butcher's twine.

I modify Jeff's technique a little bit when I've got a monster. I build a third rack that sits inbetween the top rack and bottom. (couple of bricks suits the purpose.)

Flat goes on the bottom. Point goes in the middle. Sometimes ribs or something goes on the top. (never poultry on the top)

This way the drippings from the point baste the flat all the way through the cook. I love not having to mop or baste. Keeps the pit temp nice and even. Sometimes the very edges of the flat "jerkify" but frankly I like that too.

The only time I ever put the point directly ontop of the flat I got a gummy mess with the rub, no bark and not much smoke ring.

HTH

Back