2013 Weber Genesis EP 310 or 2013 Weber Spirit 3 Burner

The new spirit is a well built grill and will do well for a lot of years. You do give up some of the warranty you get with the genesis. I went with the genesis primarily for cooking area. We are a family of 7 so we need space. If the grease doesn't hit the bars it hits the removable grease tray which makes for easy cleaning. As for the heat Sheila I believe it does two things. First it allows for more efficient heating. Second when grease hits the tray it can splash up to burners and cause flare ups. This should help guard that. That said I have only had flat ups when I cook the high fat content frozen burgers and I don't have the heat shield. That was added in 2011,

The new spirit is a well built grill and will do well for a lot of years. You do give up some of the warranty you get with the genesis. I went with the genesis primarily for cooking area. We are a family of 7 so we need space. If the grease doesn't hit the bars it hits the removable grease tray which makes for easy cleaning. As for the heat Sheila I believe it does two things. First it allows for more efficient heating. Second when grease hits the tray it can splash up to burners and cause flare ups. This should help guard that. That said I have only had flat ups when I cook the high fat content frozen burgers and I don't have the heat shield. That was added in 2011,

I did not see any warranty difference - please explain.

General concensus seams to be the EP-310 over any other model Genesis - and the Spirit as well.

Weber warranty: burners 10 years, shroud and castings 25 years, grates 5 years, bars 3 years on pci and 5 years for stainless

Broil king warranty: limited lifetime on shroud and casting, 5 years on burners(the replacement cost is prorated after 3 years), 2 years on grates and bars.

The EP 310 would only be bested by the 330. Hope this helps and please post pics when you buy one.

Thanks for the clarification - I thought you were referring to purchasing the Genesis vs Spirit. Still kind of favoring the Spirit - today I compared the grates sqin on the Spirit and put them on top of a set of Genesis grates - actually you only pick up about an inch or inch & 1/2 on the side and ditto on the length - not even enough room to add a couple of brats. I have located a aftermaket supplier who is building SS FB's for the new Spirit - any last thoughts on the Spirit vs Genesis - seems like Genesis for +$250 is not that good of a buy - plus the sqin to btu favors the Spirit. Thanks for any advice/feedback

The new spirit is a great grill. The made a lot of nice improvements with the redesign. When I was purchasing there was slightly more quality differences between the two but I think it has been leveled to some degree. Let us know what you buy and post pics of your first cook.

To cover the entire grilling surface with GrillGrates would cost somewhere in the $100 range. Keep in mind GrillGrates are made of hard anodized aluminum and should last a very long time. You could always just cover half of the grill for half the cost.

To cover the entire grilling surface with GrillGrates would cost somewhere in the $100 range. Keep in mind GrillGrates are made of hard anodized aluminum and should last a very long time. You could always just cover half of the grill for half the cost.

Can't get the fascination with grill grates. If you're buying a high quality grill to begin with. There is no way they (GG) will give a better performance. To me just an expensive gimmick

My grill is hotter with grillgrates. I love them. If i put all three burners on medium, my grill is at 450-500.

The sear marks are better looking on my steaks also. I don't care what anyone says, we eat with our eyes first.

Plus, when I cook with marinades, like the roadside chicken recipe that's amazing, I'm constantly basting my chicken. No flare ups to worry about. I will never cook without them. It took 5 grates to completely cover my genesis. This cost was spread out between birthdays, Father's Day, and a Labor Day sale.

Another thing about them is ill throw some BBQ delight pellets in the grooves, and my pork and chicken will have a smokey flavor. No need for a smoke box.

I have no arrangement with the company, honestly. I do feel that it has improved my grilling though.

My grill is hotter with grillgrates. I love them. If i put all three burners on medium, my grill is at 450-500.

First anything that blocks the heat cannot "make it hotter". And a properly functioning Genesis (especially the newest) will run in that temp range without the GG add ons. In any case I would save the $$$ and put it toward good steaks

Back