2008ish S-670... Worth restoring?

Ryan Gardner

TVWBB Fan
I've got a 2008-era Weber Summit S-670... I got it second hand about ten years ago and it's been great up until recently.

It's now getting the dreaded cookbox rust formation at the front of the grill behind the dials, and the bottom panel is rusting out so the doors don't hold themselves shut anymore.

It's out of warranty. I contacted Weber, and they will sell me the cookbox and bottom panel for about $630.

The rest of the grill is in good shape (though I'll do a much more thorough inspection of it before making a decision). Though I would replace the flavorizer bars and thorougly clean the burners etc if I was going to refurbish this thing...

I've been holding out hoping they'd actually refresh the Summit Series and come out with an upgraded version that has some of the newer features they've been putting on their Genesis series - and maybe... just maybe... also build them out of alloys not so prone to rust.

I've got a 2008-era Weber Summit S-670... I got it second hand about ten years ago and it's been great up until recently.

It's now getting the dreaded cookbox rust formation at the front of the grill behind the dials, and the bottom panel is rusting out so the doors don't hold themselves shut anymore.

It's out of warranty. I contacted Weber, and they will sell me the cookbox and bottom panel for about $630.

The rest of the grill is in good shape (though I'll do a much more thorough inspection of it before making a decision). Though I would replace the flavorizer bars and thorougly clean the burners etc if I was going to refurbish this thing...

I've been holding out hoping they'd actually refresh the Summit Series and come out with an upgraded version that has some of the newer features they've been putting on their Genesis series - and maybe... just maybe... also build them out of alloys not so prone to rust.
Used and fully working without the cookbox rot, these sell for around $1100-$1200 by me.

Mathematically, if you’re dropping say $600 in new parts, maybe $700 in new parts, and you use it for a year until a new Summit comes to market, you’d still get the use of your grill and still have some headroom to resell it down the road.

Even if you sold it for $1k or $900, you’d still be ahead of expenses versus value and still have a grill you like and can use.

They’re good grills to cook on if you like gassers. I’ve owned two of them and sold my last one this spring.

I’d personally never buy one again but that’s because I don’t like or use gas anymore and the failure rate of that model is almost guaranteed.

It just boils down to your time, money, and what do you really enjoy cooking on.

Personally, I’d put the $700 into a Weber Summit Kamado and spend for either the stand alone or table version (this is what I did) and just move on in life.

You might get $200 for the grill as is and walk away from the problem.

Depends how "married" you are to the Weber name. Honestly there are possible better choices in gas grills. Ones made better for less money and that make more sense to spend that $700+ on. Look for something with fully stainless steel cook box or Cast aluminum cook box, better made or no cabinet, etc. Yeah, the big Summits with all the bells and whistles cook well, but you've now seen first hand the major fly in the ointment.
If you're not married to gas either there are good choices in in the pellet grill market, coal burner (as Brett pointed out) and so on. Me, for example I am moving fully away from gas or at least 85%-90% away from it in favor of my 2 pellet cookers. Weber makes a decent pellet cooker in the Smokefire but even here there are choices that $$$ wise and performance wise may even make a little more sense. Ex, for $699 you can order the Z Grill 1100 2B which now by my own experience is a phenomenal cooker. My Member's Mark Pellet Pro another outstanding cooker. Especially at the $199 price I paid brand new through Sam's. This time of year they do run closeouts.
So you may want to evaluate what your actual wants/needs are, how married you are to brand/cooking type and fuel before dropping huge $$$ on a product you can likely replace with brand new and better quality overall

$630 for a grill parts you've owned for 10 years that's approximately 15 years old is a steal. They haven't changed much over the years which is good for parts. That's $63 per year or $5.25 per month of ownership. You could opt to get a new Weber or other brand but that leaves the old grill and new expense to debate.

Used and fully working without the cookbox rot, these sell for around $1100-$1200 by me.

Even if you sold it for $1k or $900, you’d still be ahead of expenses versus value and still have a grill you like and can use.

You might get $200 for the grill as is and walk away from the problem.

Ryan Gardner -​

Tread lightly with the numbers from Brett-EDH.
I envy those types of resale numbers. I can't speak to where you
or Brett live, but here in flyover country, I would be lucky to get
about 50 to 60% of those prices here.

Ryan Gardner -​

Tread lightly with the numbers from Brett-EDH.
I envy those types of resale numbers. I can't speak to where you
or Brett live, but here in flyover country, I would be lucky to get
about 50 to 60% of those prices here.
Of course, check your own market. I’m in the Sacramento region and a good quality S670 runs in my posted range.

I sold an old E620 (IIRC) for $200 with complete boxrot.

I have no knowledge of other areas pricing strength or weakness.

If I had a grill that sold used for 25% of original price, in very good condition, I wouldn’t buy a higher end grill in that market.

Map and adjust to your market if resale value is important to you. I’m not into losing money. Fifty percent depreciation over 10 years is reasonable to me though.

I am pretty sure they are coming out with a new updated Summit next year.

They might be using the 10 year warranty that the new ones come with. They replaced my cookbox on my 650 that is a 2010

Fifty percent depreciation over 10 years is reasonable to me though.

Do you see those types of returns across the entire Weber line-up,
of just on the Summits?
Summits are very difficult to resell here at anything north of 50% of retail.
I routinely see brand-new Summits languishing away for months on end
at or near 50% of retail. However, it is quite common to see decent,
used Performers, Spirits, and Genesis grills returning 50, 60, or even 70%
of retail in the 5-10 year old range.

I can buy a Spirit or a Spirt 2 for under $75 all day around my parts and even get free summits and spirits. Obviously the OP has cared for the Summit and likely has been bitten by the new bug since they've reached optimal pay back on the current unit.

of just on the Summits?
considering the price of a new build home in my area is around 900k, people do buy Summits. Weber doesn't sell a lot of them but I see them on CL a few times a year up here and usually in very good condition.

I sold my 1 year old WSC for $900. retail when I sold it was around $1250 IIRC.

I bought a 1 year old WSC grill center for $1300 that the owner wanted to get rid of because he couldn't work it. he preferred gas. i gladly helped him in one hour with a truck and cash.

my guess is each market has its own economics. there are people who want to spend and buy higher end stuff. and they get bored of that stuff too. i'm the guy that likes high quality used stuff. no sales tax and high value. haven't bought a new car from a dealer since 2001.

of just on the Summits?
Dave, out of my own curiosity, i pulled demographic info for our two general areas where we live. i think this explains more of the pricing we see here with possible more income in play. People here by me buys some crazy stuff. I shake my head, daily, sometimes at what I see.

1695162289488.png

1695162311352.png

considering the price of a new build home in my area is around 900k, people do buy Summits. Weber doesn't sell a lot of them but I see them on CL a few times a year up here and usually in very good condition.

I sold my 1 year old WSC for $900. retail when I sold it was around $1250 IIRC.

I bought a 1 year old WSC grill center for $1300 that the owner wanted to get rid of because he couldn't work it. he preferred gas. i gladly helped him in one hour with a truck and cash.

my guess is each market has its own economics. there are people who want to spend and buy higher end stuff. and they get bored of that stuff too. i'm the guy that likes high quality used stuff. no sales tax and high value. haven't bought a new car from a dealer since 2001.
"I like high quality stuff" that's me and if free it's even better. This is why I believe in paying it forward to the next one. If I get something free and usually do, I then take something I have and pass it along. This is my life cycle and have given more than I get not counting discounts at stores 😁

They might be using the 10 year warranty that the new ones come with. They replaced my cookbox on my 650 that is a 2010
Do you know what the warranty was on the older ones?

And did you just sell yours on Facebook marketplace by any chance? I saw someone there selling one in NH and I messaged them about where they got their parts from... (Maybe it was you?). I should have just bought yours if it was you 😂

You need a bamboo grove... Even *I* have no idea how many grills I have:ROFLMAO:
I like restoring but I can easily let things get out of control. I like where I'm at financially with my two current grills and think I'm going to leave it there. It hard for me to justify getting another one even if it's free as I can't justify the need and the market here is not bitting. I posted my Spirit II E-210 for sale with griddle for $250 and had about 40 offers of $75-150. The freaking griddle cost more than that so that's how the market is here. Wish I had a demand for grills and I'd pick up a few daily and stay busy refurbishing.

Do you know what the warranty was on the older ones?

And did you just sell yours on Facebook marketplace by any chance? I saw someone there selling one in NH and I messaged them about where they got their parts from... (Maybe it was you?). I should have just bought yours if it was you 😂
Nope, I'm keeping mine! I asked about the 25 year warranty on the porcelain shroud that is listed right on their website under the literature section of my registered grill. The answer I got from the customer service person was to expect my part in 7-10 days, so I guess it counted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-040652.png
    Screenshot_20230920-040652.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 6
Nope, I'm keeping mine! I asked about the 25 year warranty on the porcelain shroud that is listed right on their website under the literature section of my registered grill. The answer I got from the customer service person was to expect my part in 7-10 days, so I guess it counted

Ah, I'll have to check that out and see if maybe the part that's having issues is the "porcelain shroud" and send them a picture? (the porcelain shroud is connected to the cookbox? or maybe you got lucky and got a person who didn't know the difference)

Were you able to get ahold of them on the phone, or did you do it via the web? it seems to only want to establish some kind of text messaging system or talking to an automated robot when I call their phone number.

I used the website. Register the grill, enter a purchase date in the same year the date code lists it (makes it easier to deal with) then describe the issue and add pictures. I used the screenshot of the warranty as well for clarity. I think they changed it later because of the somewhat murkiness of the porcelain shroud as it could be the cookbox or the top as it is all one piece. Mine was rusted through in both areas though

Back