2 zone grilling set up

Paolo Wyatt

Hi all, happy Wednesday! Question on 2 zone cooking - is there any difference between cooking on indirect side when there is a diffuser in place Vs just banking coals to one side of the grill? Is the indirect side any hotter/cooler using either method? Want to have 2 zone set up on my (future) summit and with the deflector being one piece wondering if I should get half moon deflectors or if that is waste of money as can just bank the coals/use the charcoal baskets. Thanks a lot!

Hi @Paolo Wyatt

On the WSK, I don't' think you need anything more than the char baskets. when I'm doing two zone I do not use the diffuser at all.

I either use use the char baskets, no baskets or turn one or both of the baskets upside down and bank the coal up against the basket.

Like this.

1706731516203.png

I picked this up from watching others here on the forum like @Brett-EDH and @DuaneMac and others who's names escape me right now.

A couple more pics are in this thread.

Thanks so much @DanHoo, I thought that would be the case but see so many generic set ups with half moon deflectors I was curious if it made a difference to the indirect cook. If it doesn't, given the size of the WSK it is easy enough to have coals one side (as you suggest) and indirect cook on the other

the half moon deflectors may have a couple of other benefits, but since I don't have one...

One is it blocks intake air from the bottom from exhausting out the top past your food. Wtih a half moon it will force the air around the food and up into the coal. This might help get a higher temp and more convection swirling but I'm just guessing.

The other is to keep the bottom of the kettle cleaner by catching all the drippings of the food, but that can be done with a sheet of HD foil under the food on the indirect side. I don't do that as often as I should as it does keep the coal grate and bottom of the kettle cleaner, but... I don't go overboard keeping my WSK that clean and I usually do enough high heat cooks to keep things burned off.

here's a post from @Brett-EDH showing one way he uses foil for indirect. I highly recommend reading his posts over the past few years and it might help you decide to buy that WSK sooner rather than later.

oops, there I go again :D

#ENABLEOTHERPEOPLETOSPENDTHEIRMONEY

1706737493667.png

One is it blocks intake air from the bottom from exhausting out the top past your food. Wtih a half moon it will force the air around the food and up into the coal. This might help get a higher temp and more convection swirling but I'm just guessing.
that's 100% spot on. noting blocking airflow from the intake does help make higher cook/coal temps. i have gotten JD with the CI sear grate to above 1000F measured temps with my IR gun (fire temp with IR gun pointing into the fire).

for steaks and seared salmon, i prefer this cook method.

i do not own any other deflectors or SNS type devices. i haven't found a need for anything like those.

here's a post from @Brett-EDH showing one way he uses foil for indirect. I highly recommend reading his posts over the past few years and it might help you decide to buy that WSK sooner rather than later.

oops, there I go again :D

#ENABLEOTHERPEOPLETOSPENDTHEIRMONEY

View attachment 85820

the foil really helps keep the grill from fatty gunk buildup. no rancid smells during winter when i grill less frequently. and cleaning the lower bowl is mostly atomized fats and residual charcoal tar/carbon. Easy Off oven spray helps to clean the porcelain coated steel during clean up season.

this pic reminds me that i need to buy and sear a ribeye or a tomahawk. bday coming up so maybe it's time to splurge. surf n turf and an amazing Cab.

1706742419849.png

NOTE: I refer to this as a runway cook. coals in CBs on opposing sides and proteins down the middle "runway." i like to upfront sear (start with a high sear) my proteins on direct coals and then move to indirect to achieve final done food temps before serving.

sometimes i feel like i speak a foreign language, thus this explanation.

I just bought the little slow n sear basket use with the WSK. I line it with tinfoil for easy clean up like Brett says. Keep the grease out of the one touch system (on any kettle or wsc) and it makes it easy to keep clean. I can run this setup at 450 easy.

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpeg
    IMG_4300.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 17
I just bought the little slow n sear basket use with the WSK. I line it with tinfoil for easy clean up like Brett says. Keep the grease out of the one touch system (on any kettle or wsc) and it makes it easy to keep clean. I can run this setup at 450 easy.
curious, how much charcoal is the SNS holding? as in, on a full size Weber chimney, i fill it to 75% full to load two full CBs to do most of my grilled/seared proteins. this is more than enough fuel and with leftovers to recycle/relight on the next chimney start.

i ask because my first few times using the WSK, i foolishly loaded the WSK like a kettle and quickly realized i was dumping waaaayyy too much charcoal briqs into the WSK per cook and that the WSK would be burning all my money on KPro.

then i got smart, real quick. CBs were the answer.

Did the same thing and about burnt some be-jeezus out of chicken. I can do about a 1/2 to 3/4 chimney mixed with leftover coal and be full. This basket is about 1.5 times the weber basket although no hard data.

that's 100% spot on. noting blocking airflow from the intake does help make higher cook/coal temps. i have gotten JD with the CI sear grate to above 1000F measured temps with my IR gun (fire temp with IR gun pointing into the fire).

for steaks and seared salmon, i prefer this cook method.

i do not own any other deflectors or SNS type devices. i haven't found a need for anything like those.
thanks @Brett-EDH! just to check I understand...

- if you use a deflector that blocks the airflow from the intake meaning that the temps in the grill are higher?
- and you're saying, as a result, if you use the deflector it means you can get your cast iron sear grate (I assume on the other side of the grill) to a higher temp? and that's what your prefer for steaks and seared salmon (half moon deflector on one side, sear grate on the other?)
- what is JD?

Thanks for all the info!

@Paolo Wyatt , MY REPLY IS IN CAPS

- if you use a deflector that blocks the airflow from the intake meaning that the temps in the grill are higher? NO. THE SIZE OF THE INTAKE OPENING DETERMINES TEMP OF THE COALS AND WSK. MY ALUMINUM FOIL IS MORE TO CATCH GREASE THAN TO ACT AS THE WSK'S DEFELCTOR. I ONLY USE THE DEFELCTOR ON LOW AND SLOW COOKS WHERE I LIGHT 5 COALS AND DO A SLOW BURN WITH THE WSK SET TO "SMOKE" SETTING ON THE INTAKE SWEEP.
- and you're saying, as a result, if you use the deflector it means you can get your cast iron sear grate (I assume on the other side of the grill) to a higher temp? NO, THAT IS NOT CORRECT NOR VALID. and that's what your prefer for steaks and seared salmon (half moon deflector on one side, sear grate on the other?) YES. I WILL LINK TO THOSE POSTS SO YOU CAN SEE HOW I HAVE THE SETUP GOING SO YOU CAN REFERENCE IT.
- what is JD? MY APOLOGIES FOR USING ACRONYMS. JS = JEALOUS DEVIL, WHICH IS POSIBLY THE BEST LUMP CHARCOAL YOU CAN BUY AND USE. THIS IS MY OPINION BUT MANY OTHERS ALSO LIKE AND USE JD. IT IS CLEAN BURNING WITH VERY LITTLE RESIDUAL ASH, HAS A VERY SLIGHTLY SWEET SMOKE FLAVOR AND YOU CAN ADD ANY FLAVORED WOOD TO ENHANCE JD AND JD WILL NOT OVER POWER THE SMOKING WOOD CHUNKS ADDED.

Thanks for all the info!

LINKS: https://www.jealousdevil.com/chunx-xl-lump-charcoal
Seared salmon on CI grate: https://tvwbb.com/threads/1050°f-seared-salmon-not-a-typo.88299/

@Paolo Wyatt , MY REPLY IS IN CAPS

- if you use a deflector that blocks the airflow from the intake meaning that the temps in the grill are higher? NO. THE SIZE OF THE INTAKE OPENING DETERMINES TEMP OF THE COALS AND WSK. MY ALUMINUM FOIL IS MORE TO CATCH GREASE THAN TO ACT AS THE WSK'S DEFELCTOR. I ONLY USE THE DEFELCTOR ON LOW AND SLOW COOKS WHERE I LIGHT 5 COALS AND DO A SLOW BURN WITH THE WSK SET TO "SMOKE" SETTING ON THE INTAKE SWEEP.
- and you're saying, as a result, if you use the deflector it means you can get your cast iron sear grate (I assume on the other side of the grill) to a higher temp? NO, THAT IS NOT CORRECT NOR VALID. and that's what your prefer for steaks and seared salmon (half moon deflector on one side, sear grate on the other?) YES. I WILL LINK TO THOSE POSTS SO YOU CAN SEE HOW I HAVE THE SETUP GOING SO YOU CAN REFERENCE IT.
- what is JD? MY APOLOGIES FOR USING ACRONYMS. JS = JEALOUS DEVIL, WHICH IS POSIBLY THE BEST LUMP CHARCOAL YOU CAN BUY AND USE. THIS IS MY OPINION BUT MANY OTHERS ALSO LIKE AND USE JD. IT IS CLEAN BURNING WITH VERY LITTLE RESIDUAL ASH, HAS A VERY SLIGHTLY SWEET SMOKE FLAVOR AND YOU CAN ADD ANY FLAVORED WOOD TO ENHANCE JD AND JD WILL NOT OVER POWER THE SMOKING WOOD CHUNKS ADDED.

Thanks for all the info!

LINKS: https://www.jealousdevil.com/chunx-xl-lump-charcoal
Seared salmon on CI grate: https://tvwbb.com/threads/1050°f-seared-salmon-not-a-typo.88299/

Thanks so much @Brett-EDH , really appreciate you taking the time!

JS = JEALOUS DEVIL, WHICH IS POSIBLY THE BEST LUMP CHARCOAL YOU CAN BUY AND USE. THIS IS MY OPINION BUT MANY OTHERS ALSO LIKE AND USE JD. IT IS CLEAN BURNING WITH VERY LITTLE RESIDUAL ASH, HAS A VERY SLIGHTLY SWEET SMOKE FLAVOR AND YOU CAN ADD ANY FLAVORED WOOD TO ENHANCE JD AND JD WILL NOT OVER POWER THE SMOKING WOOD CHUNKS ADDED.
The best charcoal that I used is called Quebracho blanco and comes from south America. This week I got a few bags from an online store, ordered quebracho blanco but got JD 😁
I guess when JD writes:
Crafted from pure, all-natural South American hardwood
I guess we know what type of wood it is.

Back