In the rain carne asada

That is how it is done.
Straight up.
Looking good.........I however find shrimp and scallops as well to be a better cook and taste in a cast iron pan.
The amount of time they take to cook I find the fire doesn't really apply and benefit. You can get a bitter taste from it too if you are not careful.
The cast also lets it cook in butter and garlic.
Not putting your cook down, just me personal preference......I probably have to share my email address with you again Brett, somehow I missed my invitation again. :unsure::p
What cut of beef is that, it looks excellent.

That is how it is done.
Straight up.
Looking good.........I however find shrimp and scallops as well to be a better cook and taste in a cast iron pan.
The amount of time they take to cook I find the fire doesn't really apply and benefit. You can get a bitter taste from it too if you are not careful.
The cast also lets it cook in butter and garlic.
Not putting your cook down, just me personal preference......I probably have to share my email address with you again Brett, somehow I missed my invitation again. :unsure::p
What cut of beef is that, it looks excellent.
I love the smoke flavor that JD imparts on all foods, shellfish included. It's a light smoke flavor.

The shrimps were in some leftover sauce I made for spinach & cheese raviolis last week. EVOO, unsalted butter, lots of fresh garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and a pinch of black pepper. I added some chili flakes to the shrimp marinade before grilling them. Cook time was around 2 mins each side of the shrimp and then just a little more. I undercooked them slightly as I had to hold them under foil for company to arrive and they finished themselves up perfectly via residual heat and foil.

Yeah, if all you're going to do is fire up the grill for a few shrimp, then a CI or SS pan works fine. I've even metal skewered both shrimp and scallops and broiled them in the oven. My technique to avoid burning them is to lower the topmost rack to the middle of the oven and use that as the distance of protein from the broil element. Works perfectly every time. Good cook through without overcooking or burning the shellfish.

If you're ever down here in CA, there's always an open invite. Months outside of Nov - Mar are better as we're usually done with rainy season by then. Food just tastes better when eaten outside on the patio, IMO.

The beef is the only cut I use for carne asada, flap meat. I buy the Costco cryovac and apportion and lightly trim my pieces. I can usually get 4-5 meals from that Costco pack. This cook was a 4# freezer pack that I defrosted over 2 days.

Marinade was my usual;
Frozen pineapple concentrate, around 4 Tbs worth with a little water to make it viscous
S&P
Gran garlic - a good dose
Cumin
Hot Chili powder
Hand crushed oregano
cooking oil

tossed and incorporated and then bagged to marinate for 4 hours in the fridge

pulled from fridge 45 mins before grilling to temp up

cooked over JD and pulled at 120F to be held in the oven, covered with foil. sliced and chopped when company arrived.

IMO, no other cut of beef works as well for fajitas or carne asada. unfortunately, most MX restaurants won't use or serve this, (unless it's a white tablecloth eatery) due to the price. many taquerias will use rump roast and chop it small for tacos. it's much less expensive and can be held in a jus to keep it moist before flattopping it to make a taco.

Tacos on chef’s plate are a little light…I mean, there is room there for more meat! 🤣
Looks excellent!
Chef paced himself. Three asada tacos and two shrimp tacos. I'm still full this AM. only had a triple shot mocha for breakfast and still not hungry. Oh and one Coors Light to wash dinner down with. I drank it out of my Stella chalice to feel rich.

The beef is the only cut I use for carne asada, flap meat. I buy the Costco cryovac and apportion and lightly trim my pieces. I can usually get 4-5 meals from that Costco pack. This cook was a 4# freezer pack that I defrosted over 2 days.
Not sure what flap mat is up here.....I do know many of our cuts are called something different below the boarder.
My 3 main cuts that I use for things other than steaks or roasts are......

Flank, which might be similar to what you have there but your beef looks a bit different.
Picanha and skirt.

I picked up a black angus skirt a few months back tossed it in the freezer........
The marbling and fat on this thing makes yours look like a center cut roast for Italian sandwiches. Like a top sirloin.....:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Couldn't believe it, so I had to buy it.
Just kidding thou yours looks insane good, I really haven't come across anything like this I can buy...but I will talk to my beef butcher.
I don't really know what to use this skirt on, thinking either cutting it into shorter pieces as it is about a foot and a half long and making tacos or leaving it and trying it in fajita's.
I gotta get pics of this thing and show it off.
When I use flank for street taco type cooks I use a reposado with lime and cumin......among others.
This is a very distinct flavour and is addictive......keep it in mind......but as far as going traditional Mexican flavors I don't do that.

Back