2 Weekends Ribs w-pics

Jim Quinn

TVWBB Fan
Did spares last weekend, and BB's this weekend. Really practicing alot for this years rib competitions.

Spares were from Restaurant Depot, a 3 pack. Slathered in mustard, rubbed with my rub. I used a tart wash with Jim Beam as an adder to spray them after a few hours in the smoker. No foil, no sauce. Really nice batch. Did them on the lower rack the whole time using RO lump, and hickory

swim027.jpg

swim040.jpg

swim058.jpg

swim062.jpg

Babybacks were also from RD, 3 pack, done the same way, mustard, my rub, but rubbed the night before. SMoked on the top rack, same Jim Beam tart wash after 2.5 hours. Smoked using RO lump, Apple, and Jack Daniels Oak. No foil, glazed with Open Pit when they came off the smoker and were resting. Really nice batch, sweet subtle smoke, my wife thought these were the best I have done.

wsm085.jpg

wsm102.jpg

wsm105.jpg

wsm112.jpg

wsm118.jpg

thanks for checking out my rib pics.

Thats some fine looking grub! I was actually looking at that same rib rack on amazon the other day. How do you like it and how well does it fit in the 18" WSM? How does it fit on the top grate? I imagine if it fits on the top grate you could put a whole lot of ribs on there with two racks!

thanks,

the rib rack is ok, and fits the spares better than the bb's(I had to remove a few of the slots to get the bb's in. THe rack also fit better on the bottom rack of the WSM, it was a tight squeeze to get the bb's on the top rack of the WSM at first, much easier after a few hours afther they had cooked a while.

I think I still prefer laying the ribs on the wsm's racks, but was testing this method out to increase capacity.

HOOOYAAA!!! Jimbo!! ...those ribs look great, good pix too
icon_biggrin.gif
...after two identical cooks, which do y'all prefer
icon_confused.gif
Spares or BBs...? Folks in my family have grown to heavily favor the spares
icon_razz.gif
Nice job on the ribs and pix...also noticed your Chef Lubricant in your first BB photo!
icon_wink.gif

THanks Rondo,

I really go back and forth between spares, and BB's. I like all the trimmings you get with spares(tips skirt), and the flavor they have. But there is just something about BB's I really enjoy.

Thankfully I dont have to choose one or the other right....
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Competition worthy Jim. Always nice when the wife likes them too.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks..

Hopin she lets me keep doing them.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Jim - Nice job on the ribs - You have got some great
icon_wink.gif
mahogany color working there my friend and I'm sure the judges are going to be looking for some of that. Great looking cook. Good luck with the competitions. Bob B
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great looking ribs, Jim.

Gerry, I've got that same rib rack and I agree with Jim in its use though I prefer to use the rack cause I like getting all those ribs in there.

Back