2 butts & 3 racks of babybacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark F.

TVWBB Member
Hi guys,

In a couple of weeks I'm going to have a bunch of friends over for a cookout. I'm planning on two butts and 3 racks of baby back ribs. I've done both individually before, but never at the same time. Is there anything I should be aware of? For example:

Where's the best place to put the butts? Both on the top rack? Or is it better to put them on the bottom thereby making it "easier" to access the ribs?

Should I plan on the usual cooking time for the ribs or will having the butts there make them go longer? Conversely, will opening the smoker to add the ribs, etc greatly affect the cooking time of the butts?

As always, thanks for your help. Y'all have never steered me wrong (yet)
icon_wink.gif

Mark in W. Trenton

Mark, I would probably do the ribs on top.
As the old Burt Bacharach song goes "Make it easy on yourself"
icon_wink.gif

Mark, BB are going to run in the 4-6 hour range by themselves, so you will have to take in to account heat loss not only when you take the lid off of the WSM but also for the BB as the meat is cool and will be a heat sink. This will use up energy the coals have which might put you in a fuel defict before the cook is complete.

I would start the butts on top and then move them to the bottom when you put the ribs on. Also, remember the the butts can hold for long periods of time(4 hrs.) when you wrap them in HD foil and put them in a dry cooler with towels over them. Perhaps timing it out so the butts and ribs are together for only a few hours might be the best way to attack it!

Just set up a plan or an outline and work from there...make adjustments as you need to but this should be a very straight forward cook for you and an impressive one for your friends to be a part of! Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back