2 - 10lb Pork Shoulders

Curtis

I am getting ready to start cooking 2- 10lb bone-in pork shoulders. I plan on using the Minion method and cooking on both grates between 225-250. I'm guessing this will take about 20 hours - what do you think? Also when should I start mopping and when should they be flipped?

To add to that test for doness with a temp probe.
If it goes in with little resistance it is done if you feel some resistance in the middle leave it on for a while longer.

yeah 20 hrs sounds about right. You can spray/mop with an apple juice / vegetable oil mixture after 12 and 16 hours.

Sounds like an epic cook...please keep us posted!!!!

I no longer flip or mop, just put that baby on and let her go. Remember, your bottom grate is going to run about 10 degrees cooler than your top (generally speaking). Why not put them both on the top? Otherwise you're probably going to have one butt done a couple of hours prior to the bottom one. Or, you could rotate them . . . if it was me I'd just do them both on the top grate, much easier. You're looking at between 15 and 20+ hours. I've had large butts like this go 23 hours . . . they're done when they're done.

Well, after 23hr and 44mins - I just pulled them off the smoker. They look and smell phenomenal! They are resting now before I pull. Thanks for your help, I actually liked not having to mop
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Curtis:
Well, after 23hr and 44mins - I just pulled them off the smoker. They look and smell phenomenal! They are resting now before I pull. Thanks for your help, I actually liked not having to mop
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many times did you have to refuel, and what kind did you use?

Refueled only once at around 11hrs into the cook. I used Kingsford for the cook. Was extremely happy with the stability.

Back