1st waterless smoke - I'm nervous

BrianZ

TVWBB Member
This weekend I plan on cooking 2 butts in my WSM. I have always used water in the pan and never had a bad cooking experience. I recently bought 2 clay pot bottoms (12" & 14"). I have heard good things about the clay pot method, but I am nervous to try it with 2 butts on the line. Do the clay pots affect the cooking time? Should I use the 12" or the 14"? I plan on using the top grate only. I'm not sure if I am using bone-in or boneless butts yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I suspect everything will go fine. Just catch the temps on the way up so you don't over shoot.
Afterwards you'll probably post about how you'll never bother with water again. Good luck....Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrianZ:
Does the temperature seem to rise faster without water? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brian, Yes and no, just depends on several factors. With 2 butts and the clay saucer it will be a little faster but nothing huge. You might want to start closing the vents a little early than you would with water about 5-10 degrees sooner. With 2 Butts and the clay to heat up you have a pretty good heat sink in there. Even if you do over shoot, Butts can take the high heat. Relax, you'll be fine. And just remember, you won't have that nasty water to deal with.
icon_smile.gif

As both Bryan and Chris have said, catch your temps on the way up. What I recommend is when she hits 200 shut the bottom vents down and see where she settles in at, then start adjusting for target temp.

Nothing to be nervous about your first waterless has to go better than mine; I was a total spaz, throwing ice onto my clay pot etc. It all worked out in the end and I haven't looked back at water since. As Bryan said, butts are very forgiving, trust me, I've tested them
icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck and let us know how your cook goes.

I just did my first waterless cook last weekend, and it worked out fine. It was a 10lb. picnic over the empty foil-lined water pan. Like others have said, catch the temps on the way up and you should be fine. I don't think I'll be using water again anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post how it goes. I have had great experiences so far, I expect nothing less this time.

Back