1st Time doing Briskit Texas Style trying to mimic PJs BBQ in Saratoga

So i have a few questions.

1. I love Costco , who doesn't. I asked about briskets and they said the biggest they get are around 7 pounds. As this is my first one I would like to only purchase one. I was planning on starting around 3 30 Am this Saturday and eating around 6 pm the same day. Is this Overkill ?

2 PJs BBQ is my wife's favorite place and i was wondering if anyone has ever been there and can help me replicate that taste or more so the recipe.

Thanks again.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,
That sounds like either a separate flat, point or mighty small packer. For that size, you should be able to cook it in 8 to 10 hours tops. I usually do packers in the 12 pound range and can cook them in 10-12 hours using low and slow with "texas crutch" foiling after my bark has formed. Not familiar with PJs so can't help you there. If you haven't already, I would recommend you view the "BBQ With Franklin" videos on YouTube for some good information on Texas style brisket. BTW, you may get more response on this topic in another forum area like barbecuing or the new owner's section. Good luck.

Last edited:
My Costco sadly only carries flats from what I've seen. :(
Also, the BBQ with Franklin videos are great as Michael said.

My Costco sadly only carries flats from what I've seen. :(
Also, the BBQ with Franklin videos are great as Michael said.

Chris, Given that you are up the road from me, you should find a Smart and Final. They have packers that are USDA Choice. I have one in the freezer right now that is 11.56 lb. and $2.36/lb. Brand is Cattelman's Finest. Same size select grade form Walmart was 20 cents more a pound. There is also a Restuarant Depot in Van Nuys.

Chris, Given that you are up the road from me, you should find a Smart and Final. They have packers that are USDA Choice. I have one in the freezer right now that is 11.56 lb. and $2.36/lb. Brand is Cattelman's Finest. Same size select grade form Walmart was 20 cents more a pound. There is also a Restuarant Depot in Van Nuys.

Hahahaha...Read your reply just now.
"Grate" minds think alike. ;) Went and got the last one in stock at my local S&F last night.
I also had $2 off Cattelman's Finest products from the S&F mailer, so even better.
Thanks for the heads up Bob! :)

I go to S&F in Chatsworth and Granada Hills, and never seem to find brisket. Also, is there any way to get into RD without a resale license?

Last edited:
If you are a member of KCBS or CBBQA, you can get in on a one day pass. You will probably need additional information which, if you are a member of either group, can be gathered from their respective websites.

Bob

If you are a member of KCBS or CBBQA, you can get in on a one day pass. You will probably need additional information which, if you are a member of either group, can be gathered from their respective websites.

Bob

Not a member of either group. :(

Where do you find brisket in S&F? I regularly look in the stand-alone coolers (not the wall coolers), but have never seen one.

Not a member of either group. :(

Where do you find brisket in S&F? I regularly look in the stand-alone coolers (not the wall coolers), but have never seen one.

Scott, when you walk into the Chatsworth S&F, go immediately to the right past the veggies and look there. Sometimes I have to look through all of the large packages to find them. They are not great at labeling things. As for KCBS, I just spent the $35.00 to join. Per the info in my email, there is a sheet to print on the KCBS website that you take with you along with the KCBS membership card to get a pass. The restaurant depot is in Van Nuys. Haven't tried it yet, but people seem to like it.
Good luck, Bob

Scott, when you walk into the Chatsworth S&F, go immediately to the right past the veggies and look there. Sometimes I have to look through all of the large packages to find them. They are not great at labeling things. As for KCBS, I just spent the $35.00 to join. Per the info in my email, there is a sheet to print on the KCBS website that you take with you along with the KCBS membership card to get a pass. The restaurant depot is in Van Nuys. Haven't tried it yet, but people seem to like it.
Good luck, Bob

Bob: I'll check Chatsworth again and, if necessary, ask for help.

As to RD...is there a limit on the number of times I can get a day pass? I don't mind joining KCBS, but one of the incentives for me would be access to RD.

Thanks for your input, Bob.

Scott... I do not shop at RD, but have seen posting from others. They seem to get access multiple times. What is the limit... ?

Bob... Welcome to one of the best BBQ societies out there. If you like reading about BBQ news, you'll love the Bull Sheet. Usually some great recipes in there as well.

Last edited:

Back