1st Pork Butt -- 1st Time Smoking (Pic Heavy) Part Two

Stephen Hammond

TVWBB Member
Continued from Part One

2/23/14, 12:00, Checked bark with the fingernail test and decided to check back in about 30 min. Added 2 small chunks of apple wood
5vy63c.jpg

2/23/14, 12:40, Checked bark with the fingernail test, measured temp to be about 165ºF
5udylj.jpg

2/23/14, 12:40, Decided to pull the pork butts and wrap and back on the smoker
[
9rlj41.jpg

2/23/14, 3:55, after checking the temp a couple of times decided to pull them at 195ºF - 200ºF

2/23/14, 4:00, After pulling the butts from the smoker I cut the top of the foil and let them rest for an 1 hr. It actually was closer 1 and 40 min as my wife had to run to work for an emergency case.
2ib11t1.jpg

1jlncp.jpg

2/23/14, 5:30, Bone came out without any problem
s33a0x.jpg

2/23/14, 5:30 Pulled and Sandwiched
jpeng6.jpg

34exent.jpg

Thank you for following my first smoke. I apologize if this was too long.

I welcome any comments.

I was not sure about the bark, charcoal, smoke ring depth, etc... So any comments and/or discussion would be appreciated!

Have a Great Day

Stephen;
That is about as pretty a smoke as I have seen. That meat looks DELICIOUS! Good job, my man!!

By letting the bark "set" rather than relying entirely on temperature, your bark stood up to the foiling part of the cook quite well. THAT's why we do that. You did GOOD!

Thanks for sharing a great smoke with us!!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

If you liked your bark on those two, I'd suggest next time leaving one alone and letting it finish without foil. Either way, it's all good, and you did a great job.

Dave and Enrico .. Thank you.

Dave, I was thinking about trying one with and one without foil next time but wasn't sure about how the bark would be affected in regards to with water and without. I know Harry Soo cooks without water, but he also uses the Stoker. I was going to use water until I get a ATC.

I am in the market for a Thermapen, ? 733 Maverick vs BlueTherm Duo and maybe a DigiQ DX2 (Although, The temp stayed in the ball game considering a brand new unseasoned smoker. I did put a piece of cardboard up to block the wind)

I have to move in increments so the wife doesn't freak out :rolleyes:

Steven, you don't need foil. That's mainly to just speed things up on the wsm, IMHO. I always prefer to use water, until I got my PartyQ, that is. I think the DigiQ with the 10cfs fan is better for the 22.5", although my PartyQ will work on it with ideal weather and typical meat loads. Perfect for butt cooks on my 18, though.

Nice job. I am glad you are learning to cook without an ATC. The gizmos and gadgets are great but not required which, from the looks of it, you've proven.

One of the reasons I foil is to catch the "au jus" (I foil in a foil pan putting the top foil on tight and leaving the temp probe for my Maverick in the meat). I prefer the end product when I foil. It IS important to make sure the bark is set before you foil. Temperature of the meat can be a bit misleading in this regard. Harry Soo's "fingernail test" works perfectly, IMO. Foiling also speeds up the cook, a bit, and that is seldom a bad thing when doing a long cook...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Steve excellent job on those butts, you did real well bud. I would suggest what many here have done, cook your ribs, brisket and butt foiled and unfoiled, cook them high heat and low and slow. It's fun and very revealing.

If that is your 1st time then I would have to agree, you definately nailed it, I don't even have to ask how it tasted the pics say it all.

Just my $0.02, but I agree that it's a good idea to get some experience using your WSM w/out an ATC. Granted I still don't have an ATC, but I figure there are a lot of "the basics" that on might miss if they jump straight into using an ATC. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against ATC's, or their users, I just think its good to know how to manually control your temps.

Anyway, that was a good looking cook. Personally I never foil my butts, in fact to date I've only ever foiled beef ribs, but that's because I'm lazy and generally don't mind the extra time it takes to cook 'em w/out foil. I will say it is nice to know I have the option though if I get pressed for time. Will be interested in hearing your side by side foil/no-foil comparison.

Keep up the good smokes!

Back