1st overnight BUTT!

dave caston

TVWBB Fan
Doing an 8lb'er tonight. put pork butt on at 6:30 pm. used a store bought rub (grill mates ) to lazey to make my own. I put rub on with the yellow mustard and let sit in fridge for 8 hours while i went to work. it is now 6 hours later (12:13 a.m.) and temp is holding around 240. will pull off wsm at 8:00a.m.weather not to cold here in kansas city but a little windy, do have my wind screen in place to help.
I've notice that with all bottom vent set at about 50% open temp stayed around 200/210, open 2 vents to 100% and left one at 50% and temp came up to the range i wanted. anyway off to bed after one last temp. check. will let y'all know how it came out.

If your like me, your first overnighter was not the best sleep you ever had. I was up several times checking the temps, and with no real need to.
Is your top vent open 100%? I would think with 2 @ 100%, and the third @ 50%, you should have a hotter temp than you do. That's why they say get to know YOUR smoker, they all act a little different. You'll be eating some good Q for lunch.
icon_biggrin.gif

All went very good for the cook.took butt off at 8:30 a.m. this morning, wrap it and put in cooler for 2.5 hours. pulled port just after noon and made a sandwich. ( just to taste test ) It was so good I wanted to slap somebody, but no one around so I just ate it and smiled.
Things I learned; Don't stay up all night checking on temp. If done right nothing to wprry about.
Bob T, I had top vent 100% open and bottom vents at 100-100-50%. to keep temp at 240. I learned that yes every smoker is diffrent and one must know how they react to wind, cold rain ect.ect.
Used a brinkman charcoal pan for water and did not have to refill at all.
Next time I will flip butt over at half way point of cooking, did not do it untill next morning but it came out ok.
When I pulled the bone from the meat it just sliped out, even the bone had a smoke ring on it. good bark nice and dark good smome ring on meat. I used three chuncks of Mesquite and three chuncks of Hickory.

Up next I'm doing some ribs for Sunday dinner to go along with the smoke pork butt. Hope some one make side dish.

"so good I wanted to slap somebody"

That's a good one lol. I know what you mean though. You sound like you like a lot of smoke flavor also. When I smoke for the family, I have to tone it down somewhat, but I like your amount used.

Not doing any smoking this w/e, but....I'm off next week. I need to make a Humphries lump run, then there are several things I plan on doing. Spare ribs, Boston butt, then some type of beef so I can make chili with it, along with some leftover butt. Maybve a chuck roast or brisket would do the trick.

Bob, done top and bottom roasts on the WSM. Takes about 3 1/2 hours at around 240. Pulled off at 155. Turn out great!!! I'm off next week also. Now you got me thinking, Hummmmm.

Back