1st HH (High Heat) Brisket -- Killer Smoke Ring (Pic Heavy)

Stephen Hammond

TVWBB Member
Date and Weather:
3/22/14, 50 ºF, Windy

Cooker and Fuel:
22.5" Smokey Mountain Cooker 2014, 4 Apple Chunks 3 Hickory Chunks, and Stubb's Charcoal (Really Liking the Stubbs!)

Started with 2 gallons of hot water in the water pan.

Temps ranged mostly between 350-375 ºF (with a couple of spikes in both directions)

Meat:
Packer Brisket from local Meat Market

Trimmed, Injected, Rubbed for 2 1/2 hrs cooked for 3 hrs, wrapped for 2 hrs, held in cooler for about 2 hrs.

Burnt Ends: Separated the point from the flat after wrap. Cooked burnt ends on the grate for about 2 hrs at 250-275 ºF. Tossed half in our homemade sauce and the other have in Sauce #5 with some of the foil drippings.

Pics:
5jtaqg.jpg

ogxstg.jpg

33ekbaq.jpg

2yz0thg.jpg

1z2j9m8.jpg

ngccn6.jpg

2ngd7k2.jpg

2mop55x.jpg

1zbxyjs.jpg

I thought I was slicing them thin....need to be a little thinner next time. It was delicious... I gave my self a B+ to an A-. The in-laws gave it an A.

This will probably end the 1st smokes on the WSM for a while. Not sure what I will be cooking next...probably trying to improve on the cooks I've already done with new sides and appetizers. Thanks a lot for everyone taking time to post and respond to posts on this site... It's huge help for those of us that have a lot to learn. Hopefully, I didn't bore anyone with all the pics and postings.

Last edited:
Boring us with pics? Nope. Great post and pics. I've cooked brisket (flats) twice and didn't like either attempt. No smoke ring, and they were tenderish but not very juicy. You have inspired me to try again. This time I'll go all in, buy the whole packer, inject, etc. At your temps that whole beast was done in 5 hours?

Last edited:
Looks good bud, have not done HH for Brisket yet, have for Pork Butts a few times and they came out great. Very nice, A+

Back