1st attempt at a brisket flat on smoke day

Tom (Gunner)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey Guys/Gals,

So I am attempting my first brisket flat this Saturday. I went to a local butcher and asked for a brisket flat and he ended up trimming it down to 5.35 pounds. I have no idea if it's choice or anything but dang it was expensive..$6.98 per pound! I couldn't believe it when he told me the total cost. Anyways, it seems real thin, it's only about an inch and a half or so thick all the way through. Does that seem too thin? I am going to try the HH method. I understand to pull it and foil it after it hits 170 right? The only thing I am unclear is how soon after I foil it should I check for probe tenderness? Is it pretty obvious when it is tender enough to pull and rest? I am pretty nervous, I don't want to screw it up since it was like $40.00 bucks and it's my first one...Thanks all!

hope you have better luck with a flat than I did. I won't make that mistake again.

and yeah...$6.98/lb sounds outrageous.

Originally posted by Chris Smith:
hope you have better luck with a flat than I did. I won't make that mistake again.

Hey Chris, what was your mistake if you don't mind me asking?

Originally posted by Chris Smith:

$6.98/lb??????? YOUR BUTCHER WORK FOR WHOLE FOODS?? TAKE IT BACK AND DEMAND YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!!!!!!!! Go to a BJs, Costco or Sam's Club! You'll pay a lot less and their butcher will trim it for you as well! And they all offer 1 day passes if you're not a member.

I think someone posted the other day a brisket that was $4.98/lb and I wanted to cry. This...I'm having a panic attack...***! NEVER go there again!

$7.00/ pound!!! That's outrageous. I would have walked away. I can buy 11-12 pound whole packers at Sam's Club for less than $30. For that price that sucker had better have been Wagyu.

My experience with cooking a flat by itself is that it will dry out badly unless it is well marbled. I've had good luck with putting the flat in an aluminum pan on a grate and then consistently adding liquid to the pan. That will essentially add steam to the process. Especially when I foil the top to finish out. I add a cup or two of apple juice before covering. That way the meat comes out really moist.

Russ

sounds like I got worked over by that butcher...I'm wondering if he just charged me for the whole thing even though he trimmed it. It also sounds like you guys haven't had luck cooking flats...strike two! Should I just cook it low and slow? I have no idea what to do now..some one out there has to have had some luck cooking flats...anyone?

I cook flats exclusively. Don't despair. We all get robbed every once in a while. You must be rich. Congratulations.
icon_smile.gif
i get mine at BJ's. I like to cook in the 240-260 range with the fat side up. Some do fat down, whatever. Foil when the flat hits ~160 and test for tender by sticking a probe, skewer etc in the meat. When tender, the probe will go in with little or no resistance. Rest it for half an hour and cut across the grain. Note the direction of the grain before you start your cook. Don't pay any attention to internal temperature once in the foil. There will be a lot of juice in the foil so be careful when you take the package off the cooker.

Originally posted by Dave/G:
I cook flats exclusively. Don't despair. We all get robbed every once in a while. You must be rich. Congratulations.
icon_smile.gif
i get mine at BJ's. I like to cook in the 240-260 range with the fat side up. Some do fat down, whatever. Foil when the flat hits ~160 and test for tender by sticking a probe, skewer etc in the meat. When tender, the probe will go in with little or no resistance. Rest it for half an hour and cut across the grain. Note the direction of the grain before you start your cook. Don't pay any attention to internal temperature once in the foil. There will be a lot of juice in the foil so be careful when you take the package off the cooker.

Perfect thank you Dave! I realize I got my a** handed to me by the butcher but you live and you learn...first time buying a brisket and costco is a lot farther away but will make the trek next time...and I am FAR from rich.. haha!

Originally posted by Dave/G:
icon_smile.gif

How many hours per pound should I count on roughly? I know all cuts take different amounts of time...but a roug estimate would be good to try and time it right

Thank you Dave! Also, thanks Jon, and your first try looks like it turned out awesome..I saw the HH stickied and I have studied it a bunch but I guess I am just confused on temps for just a flat. The HH method says you should stay around 325-350 for packers, but people that cook only flats seem to think you should be around 240-260. So I suppose that's why I am asking for more suggestions? I think since mine is so thin and only at 5 lbs I might stick around 240-260 or so?

Back