1995 performer ss touch n go lower bowl replacement to use new style damper blades

Rusty S

greetings - its become time to replace my damper blades on my old performer. when i called weber, they say to use the new blades you must replace the lower bowl, ash ring and catcher with the new style. did anyone ever do a conversion this way, and is there a listing anywhere of the part numbers needed to do this? also, does the burner assembly still bolt up the same way as the old ones? thanks.

There's a few options for ya. Weber discontinued the 7409 ash sweeper, which is the one you need for an exact replacement. Do you have any Ace Hardware stores near you? They are a great source for having these hanging on the rack for $15 bucks. Just last month, a buddy reached out to me asking if I needed any as the Ace he popped into had a handful of them.

Guys have used the newer 7444 and just left the bottom washer off. It'll work just fine, but the ash sweeper handle you move back & forth doesn't "lock" into place. As long as you don't pull outward on the handle, it'll work just fine. That's probably the cheapest fix as the new sweepers are like 18 bucks
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21518016&CA_6C15C=1923854854

Another option is to find an older One Touch grill on craigslist. I don't remember exactly when, but sometime around 2001 Weber switched to the 7444 style. And of the earlier One Touch grills will have the same sweepers as your Performer. If you find an older OTS to grab the sweepers from, the newer 7444 will be a direct fit for the OTS. Win-win!

Given the cost of a new bowl/ash ring/ash catcher/ash sweeper plus shipping --- I'd purchase a used Performer from Craigslist and swap the parts onto your SS Performer. The burner & lid holder assembly will bolt right up.

thanks chad - ended up getting one coming from amazon. looks like they are out of them at ace. while i got her down, i grabbed a new top frame and some renewal parts from weber. been wanting to do a complete tear down and rebuild, no time like the present. the csr at weber said that i could always get a 2005 kettle with ash ring and catcher for just under $100 to update to the new sweeper system. thanks again for your help.

The one from amazon might not be 7409. I just ordered it and they sent a 7444. Ended up getting it for free cause they did not want it back.

same thing happened to me. received a 7444 instead and they told me to keep it. worked out perfect because that is what i am now using as my sweeper. i used the one idea to ditch the bottom washer on the new style sweeper and used 6 stainless steel zip ties to tie the ash ring to the kettle bottom. it was never so tight when using the #22 bracket and now the damper indicator is lined up perfectly with what the damper is doing. a happy ending.

Back