18 lb Chuck Roast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Was shoping at Cash n Carry for Saturday tailgater and spoted some large chunks of dead cow. I like to put a few big pieces of meat on Klose pit for "show meat" during tailgater. Otherwise when all ribs, chicken and salmon are off pit there is nothing to look at.

Figured this chunk would not finish during game so I put it on WSM at 7:30pm. I first seasoned it with emerils essence spice, some Johnnys season salt and some garlic salt, hit it pretty hard. WSM hit 250 real quick with a full ring of unlit and a chimney of lit coals on top. Added more charcoal at about 11:00pm. Figured this thing would take 15-20 hours to hit 200 degrees.
Checked with a polder at 6:00am and the thing was at 197 already, lid temp was about 260, 16 degrees outside. Took off, doubled wrapped in foil and put in a hot bag.

At the tailgater we were busy feeding the hungry ducks and scooter. I finally thought I would see how this thing turned out. Opened it up and started slicing. Did not slice well at these temps, so I kind of chunked it. The group around me started to taste pieces and it was great! Got a couple of full 1/2 pans of bbq beef, mixed some sauce with it and put it out. The beef disappeared almost immediately. People put it on their plates, made sandwiches out of it and were coming back for seconds and thirds. The crowd actually liked it better than our pulled pork.

Almost no waste, easy prep at tailgater, just cut up and was good food for a bbq buffet. Cost at cash n carry was about $1.50 per pound.

Going to do a least four of them for Husky Game in two weeks.

Ducks are not really burning up the world with two losses but we will take it. The next three should be interesting, we are a spoiler going to WSU this weekend, then dogs and beavs. Lots of football left!

Great post! I've been wondering about chuck. So what kind of texture did it have? Closer to brisket or to tri tip? I assume it was pretty well done at those temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back