18.5 lb Brisket...lets give it a go! (Pic's included)

Scott Dallal

TVWBB Member
Ok, only my 2nd Brisket on the WSM. My first was a total FAIL! Tho I can't blame the WSM. I tried a chipotle based rub that was over powering, used to much smoking wood and cooked it at a high temp to long.

Wife brought home a beat of a brisket. Over 18 lbs. So trimmed it up and threw it on.

Some details,
I have a 2010 WSM
Using water in the stock bowel for this cook
Used Minon method for starting (see pic's)
Used some small/med Mesquite chunks
Used a rub based on Smoke and Spice, but not exactly
Tried to keep lid temp at 225. I found this worked well for pork, so tried to stick with that here.
Total cook time took 16 hrs than foiled and wrapped in a blanket and put in a cooler
Will have to update with results later....

Rub
3/4 Cup paprika
1/4 Cup fresh ground black pepper
1/4 Cup salt
1/4 Cup sugar
1 tablespoon Ancho Chili Powder
1 tablespoon Chipote Chili Powder
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons dried mustard powder
2 teaspoons cayenne

Some pics

Label

labelp.jpg

Big boy. That is a 20" cutting board

20incuttingboard.jpg

Rub is on

rubison.jpg

Smoker warming up

gettingthatfirestarted.jpg

Cook is on

itison.jpg

Off the smoker

offthesmoker.jpg

Foiled

wrappedinfoil.jpg

Cooler

inthetowelandcooler.jpg

Course I know none of this matter except for taste. But I thought I'd post good or bad for help to me and other. And a big thanks to those that helped me from the Brisket thread!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Ford:
$0.75 a pound!!!
I'd cook brisket more if we had them @ that price!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your wife may know the butcher a little to well.
icon_eek.gif

That's a beast! Is that Wild Willy's rub modified? Too much paprika for me. Sure looks good. Let us know the result (with pics please).

Thanks!

Believe it or not it is Walmart! They lower their prices on their largest pieces...I think!

I have bought huge racks of pork ribs for $6.00 TOTAL (each rack). I have bought 14 lb pork shoulders for $10!

Next time I'm in, I'm going to go make nice with the manager or whoever in that department. See if I can get them to tell me their system or call me or something.

Yup, just slightly modified. I made my own run last brisket and while it was a fail, the rub was a fail as well. So I'm kind of going back to basics in hopes of just getting a good brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim L.:
That's a beast! Is that Wild Willy's rub modified? Too much paprika for me. Sure looks good. Let us know the result (with pics please).

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

75cents a lb.

gimme a break

you can't buy suet for 75 cents a lb.

(2nd photo looks like romo's shoulder
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Well brisket was...inconsistent...but good taste.

Part was dry. Likely overcooked. It would not hold together when cut. But it had good taste from the rub.

Other part was moist and tender to very moist. It was melt in your mouth good.

My first brisket on the WSM was a total fail. Not eatable. This one...I'll give it a C. Good taste, parts dry while others moist.

I ok with the results for my 2nd time. And should have it down for next time. Two things I will do different.

1. I will flip and rotate the brisket during cooking.
2. I will insert a probe thermometer from the beginning and pull at between 180-185 rather than 195-200.

Scott, one thing you'll notice when you flip or turn briskets is that you'll inadvertantly squeeze out some juice, and I don't think it's really worth the trouble. I cook 'em fat down the entire time since heat rises.

Regarding doneness, it's done when it's tender, but it will benifit from a two hour or more rest wrapped in foil in an insulated environment. However, if I had to say what was the average pulling temp for a low-n-slow brisket, I'd say 190. That's what Ray Lampe says, and he's cooked many a brisket.

There's no $.75 lb briskets 'round here, I can assure you. If there were, I'd have a freezer full of 'em. By the way, smoked brisket is great reheated out of the freezer, so as long as the price is so cheap,
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
(2nd photo looks like romo's shoulder
icon_biggrin.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HA!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
1. I will flip and rotate the brisket during cooking.
2. I will insert a probe thermometer from the beginning and pull at between 180-185 rather than 195-200. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott I have done quite a few briskets and I have never flipped or turned them. I think pulling it off at 180-185 is a good idea. Don't forget even though you pull it off the cooker and wrap in foil, a towel and put it in a cooler, it's still going to cook a little.

Also, your surface temp might be different than your lid temp. I have a grill surface thermometer and last time I did brisket I had the lid holding at 220 and the temp on the surface was 250.

Excellent look bark though and as everyone said, $0.75 per pound is insane!

Well interesting. If flipping and rotating doesn't generally lead to better results, I'm at a bit of a loss. Unless I just held it to long in a cooler? Tho when I unwrapped it was warm, but not hot.

Yea, I know got a good deal on it. Wife liked it, but there is no doubt, much of it is just dry. Overcooked. But other parts wouldn't hurt to have a little more time?!

Course I did cook fat side up. Maybe it dried out from that? I checked several (at least 6) different places and never got a reading over 200. Course I don't know when it those temps as I didn't expect it to do so, so quickly.

I'll find a deal and try again. And this time guess I'll put the probe in from the start. Tho my next adventure is to do a dress rehearsal for Thanksgiving Turkey. But since it won't be low and slow, I don't really anticipate a problem.

Scot, please find enclosed a check for $30. Send me those $.75 briskets
icon_smile.gif
I always cook fat side down. Acts as a heat barrier. Did a 16 pounder the other day and had to squeeze it in. Came out good using the HH method.Unlike KK ,I trim as much from the top as possible and try to leave at least 1/4 to 1/2" of fat on the bottom. Test with a probe .Don't go by temp only. When the probe goes in at the thickest part with little resistance it's time to take it off and wrap. I always let it sit for at least a couple of hours. The meat will continue to cook while wrapped. If the meat is really soft to the probe when tested I'll let it sit out on the counter for a bit to cool down before wrapping .If I don't she'll turn into pot roast.

On a brisket of this size when it's squeezed onto the WSM it overhangs the edges of the Water Bowl and those edges tend to dry out. A good way to alleviate the problem is place some foil at the extreme edges of the brisket length wise. I use those semi-square sheets and place one at the end of the flat and one near the point.

Good cook and excellent find on the Brisket!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott, Looking good even if you weren't completely satisfied. I've only done three briskets myself with VERY good but slightly varying success. All started in the 10 lb. range.

Frankly, I think you're trying to over-analyze your results. For all you know, there was a reason the brisket was only $.75 a pound (and, yes, I'm on my way to Walmart now too
icon_smile.gif
). And a monster like that is likely to have an interesting "live" history. Also, it may simply be that such a large slab had it's own inconsistencies (and I'm aware it's not "large" compared to a "clod"). Basically, I think that if you keep changing how you do things, you will keep getting somewhat different results and will have no idea what really may have caused it. Why not work with some mid-sized briskets and do the same things that you've been doing for several tries? Or at least, settle on one practice for the next several you do?

My choices were, probe in from the start, fat up, remove at 195*, put in pan (actually smoked in the pan for the most recent ones) and added loose foil cover during cooler rest. If you're interested in any of my own "over-analysis", you may want to check out this post: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/9401036495 .

Oh, btw, I always confirm the probe reading with an instant read before removing. On this last smoke, I used the probe in one of the briskets and it turned out it must have been in the wrong part or poked through or something. The instant read showed 20* cooler so I repositioned and, yep, the temp dropped on the probe.

Rich

Rich

I agree with Rich. There's a reason why things at Walmart are cheaper. The price is great, but it's just like buying a Dodge Caliber instead of a Infiniti. (sorry, just had to use the Caliber example b/c i had one as a rental car and it was horrid). I've never cooked brisket, but...

1- I've heard many a folk, including well seasoned vets, say it took them a LONG time to master the brisket

2- I'd imagine you'd get a better taste out of a smaller cut that's a bit higher price.

Just my 2 cents. thanks

Thanks for the responses. And that is why I posted even before the results. Figure there is always room for improvement.

Oh, I'll try again. No doubt. Probably next time I find a deal! Yea, I know Walmart might be the difference, but I would tend to think it would be fairly subtle if I had cooked it correctly.

I'm working on a stew for the weekend, and I'm going to use some of the dryer brisket meat. Should add a nice smoky flavor.

Next up? Probably next weekend (first week in November) Rehearsal for T-day...

Scott you turned cheap meat into good food... to me, that is the essence of bbq. Great job! The product wasn't great but you will get there, just keep cooking.

As for the leftovers try adding some smoked brisket or pork to your next pot of Chili.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
it adds a depth of flavor that is just wonderful.

Dennis

Back