18.5 Charcoal capacity

i would say about 11/2 chimneys worth give or take a few coals

No. It will hold at least 2 chimneys. Unfortunately, this is not a simple answer. Since for a long cook, I will stack up as much as I can (over filling it) which is probably close to an extra chimney versus just having it full to level.

Not sure why you're asking the question but for a long cook, I get as much in there as I can. For a short cook, I still fill it because I don't want to have to re-fill it. Generally, a bag of KBB will give me a couple long cooks.

Thanks for the replies. Trying to calculate out how much. I will need for the next few long cooks.

Thanks for the replies. Trying to calculate out how much. I will need for the next few long cooks.

You need to stock up and then it won't matter. If you're even semi serious about cooking with charcoal, you need to take advantage of the summer holiday specials on KBB and stock up. It may seem silly at first, but a couple to a dozen to a pallet of KBB in your garage is just a good way to save money if you buy in bulk on sale. Give some thought to how much you'll need for a year and how much storage you have and try to get enough for a year.

220 i did know that that is amazing amount i just fill up and then light a few 10 and dump those in never really paid that much attention to it,

You need to stock up and then it won't matter. If you're even semi serious about cooking with charcoal, you need to take advantage of the summer holiday specials on KBB and stock up. It may seem silly at first, but a couple to a dozen to a pallet of KBB in your garage is just a good way to save money if you buy in bulk on sale. Give some thought to how much you'll need for a year and how much storage you have and try to get enough for a year.

Bought ten packs from HD during the last sale. I guess I'll figure out how much charcoal I need for each cook after awhile. Do you think I can do a 10 hour cook with a full pan of water and a full ring of KBB? How about a clay saucer?

Ken, a full ring should make it 10 hours pretty easily. I can usually get 13-14 hours with 2 large butts on board with a full ring.

The limiting factor is the new deep water pan. To get an extra-full load on board, you have to make a concave pile of briquettes to clear the bottom of the pan. I agree with Briant, you can get 14 (or more) hours out of a full Minion fire.

Ken- yes, I do use water in the pan. I fill it about half full or so with lukewarm water. Good catch J... definitely mean using the minion method here for that long of a cook.

Back