18 1/2" or 22 1/2" ???

Jay I'll add my $0.02, though others have said exactly the same thing or something close enough. When I bought my 18.5" I debated and decided that it was the best purchase for my average cook. I also have an 18" and a 22" kettle, so if I absolutely need more space for something I have those as a backup. At the time, the 14" didn't exist, and now that it does, I still lean toward the 18" for me and my family.

I think G. Savrnoch said it pretty well:

On here and other Q forums there are lots of dudes that do some serious cooking in large quantities. There is often a move towards the "more is always better" purchase. Try and step back and take a REALISTIC look at your needs - and you'll make the right choice.

Bottom line, you'll be happy with whatever you get. And you'll probably wish something was different too. Plus I have a feeling the WSM is gonna be around for a while, so you can always upsize or downsize your smoker if you find that you are truly unhappy with a given size.

Good Luck!

@Dave Russel, what brand of six slot rib racks are you using on your 18 incher??

Charbroil Companion with the nonstick coating. Only downside is that it won't support half racks like the Weber or Brinkman, so you can't just put the rack on the cooking grate already loaded with the half slabs. No rack to clean if rolling, though, so I've just been doing that lately.

If anyone has had both sizes what's the longest cooks youve gone without having to refuel under ideal conditions?

This is what was still left in my 18" wsm after pulling a ten pounder off that went 16.25 hrs. Now this was without water using my PartyQ controller, but it was a really cold and windy night. I have no such pics to show of my 22" wsm.

This is what was still left in my 18" wsm after pulling a ten pounder off that went 16.25 hrs. Now this was without water using my PartyQ controller, but it was a really cold and windy night. I have no such pics to show of my 22" wsm.

Well damn that's awesome..how do you like that party q?

I would recommend further splitting your wood chunks into pieces as thick as either a rib or a flesh covered thumb! 8) (EDIT) Smaller chunks will produce more smoke.

Last edited:
Well damn that's awesome..how do you like that party q?
It's great for the 18". I haven't tried it with the 22" yet.

EDIT:
My bad. I've used it once in my 22" with a couple of butts that were almost 9 lbs each. It did fine with the small meat load and dry pan. The Royal Oak did not, though. I had to refuel to make it the last couple of hours. To be fair though, it was pretty cool and breezy.

Last edited:
It's great for the 18". I haven't tried it with the 22" yet.

EDIT:
My bad. I've used it once in my 22" with a couple of butts that were almost 9 lbs each. It did fine with the small meat load and dry pan. The Royal Oak did not, though. I had to refuel to make it the last couple of hours. To be fair though, it was pretty cool and breezy.

Was looking at the BBQ guru products and the pitmaster iq because I'm gonna look to pair it with the bullet once I make up my mind

Back