14 Hour Smoke!

bblake

TVWBB Member
Went into the weekend with a notion to smoke my first Boston Butt. After some thought, I decided it would be wise to do a brisket flat at the same time, in order to maximize my WSM's potential. I went to Sam's & found a trimmed 4lb. flat for $9.95, but an untrimmed 11 lb. packer for $11.79 right next to it. I think you know what I bought!

Assembled the cooker at Saturday Midnight on the button w/20 lit briquettes & a the charcoal ring just overflowing. I used three medium sized oak chunks & 2 medium size pecan chunks as my smoke wood. All I can say is that the WSM, combined w/the Minion Method is amazing.....The weather conditions were great and I went for 14 hours with no spikes, and a lid temp of 250* on the nose, with a drop to 240* for the last hour. When I removed the food at 4:00PM Sunday, the WSM went to 270*, so I decided to shut her down. I never checked the temps of the meat, and I don't have a remote therm, but I used the fork test for the brisket & bone test for the butt and both passed. Put both into the cooler for 2 hours & they came out at 6pm to be pulled & sliced.

The end result was very good, in my biased opinion,and my wife said that the smoke flavor was perfect! My sister & I liked the brisket much better than the pork , but it's probably our Texas roots... All in all, a great experience and an awesome time
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Go Astros!!!

Great results on your first butt on the WSM. Actually it was a "BOB" - butt over brisket
icon_smile.gif

I think you'll enjoy some type of meat therm in the future. I go very simple and use a Polder type which I only insert late in the cook within 2-3 hours of finish.

I'll be pulling for your Astros tonite. Actually am a Braves fan but the Astros took care of them, but not in "short" order (18 innings
icon_eek.gif
). The only thing I really like about St Louis is Ecstein (sp) - they had their chance last year. At the end I'll be with the SOX !

Paul

Back