12 hour Brisket?

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
Is that about the norm for packer cuts? Have 2 12lb packers on the WSM, and they have been on just under 12 hours. Just did my usual morning check and stuck an instant read in them and was at 175 in the point and 200-205 in the flat.
My handful of brisket cooks in the past have always been closer to 18 hours. I am using my Maverick for the first time and I think it gives me a more accurate temp (I believe my old therm was not reading well, and was showing a much higher temp) and I pulled the WSM under cover as it was very windy last night.
My temps during night seemed to be about 280 degrees and one point it has hit close to 300. Probe slid in like butter, just never had anything cook this fast. Guessing the higher temps and no wind effect can really shave the hours off.
So, should I pull them?
Jamie

get them out now. hopefully there not to dry . try foiling them in some beef broth in the cooler, May help with the moisture.If they crumble they were overcooked.

Good luck
Jeff

I left them on for a little bit longer (needed to wait for help o pull them). The part of the flat under the point was reading 188 or so at this time. They look to be in great shape as I really didn't trim the fat cap at all and one had a giant blister full of rendered fat. Both look super juicy but won't know for several hours as I coolered them to slice later this eve.
Jamie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Guessing the higher temps... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is the factor, as you've noticed. I do many briskets at higher temps (it depends on the piece). Higher temps narrow the doneness window time-wise for any meat so one needs to be a bit more on the ball. (Perhaps I wont't open the next bottle quite yet...)

Back