11 LB Sirloin... hows this plan gonna turn out.

AdamKing

TVWBB Fan
I was asked today if I could "smoke" an 11 LB sirloin roast tomorrow for a batchelor party im going to tomorrow and I of course said with out hesitation "Yes". So Im thinking about this and am not really sure how im gonna do it. First off I know i dont want to cut it into steaks and grill the steaks because I know thats not what he wants either. I was thinking of using the WSM and taking the water pan out and going direct. Try and shoot for 300 with R.O. lump and a couple pieces of pecan or hickory and cook on the top rack turning as needed. Im planning on seasoning with either holy cow or oakridge santa maria. Im not sure how thick this thing is as i havent even seen it yet but im wondering if without the heat sink between the coals and meat if the outside will be too chared before it is at the desired temp (probably 140ish). Or should i have the water pan in but empty and cook it indirect still shooting for about 300. I always do tri tips direct in the wsm on the top rack but they are obviously not as thick. I also want to shoot for medium rare to medium and that should please everyone and if someone wants it more done they can throw their piece back on. What temp would you pull it at. I'll try and post a pic of this bad boy when i see it. Any thoughts or methods on this would be greatly apreciated!

How do you plan to serve/use it ? Thin sliced for sandwiches ? Thick cut like prime rib or steaks ? In between like sliced roast beef with gravy?

Adam.

If this was me, I would put it on the WSM shoot for an IT of 130F. Wrap it in tin-foil. Get those coals red hot & then sear the sirloin 2-3 mins either side. Done!
I've done this with great results.

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually cooked it on the performer indirect at 300 to about 135 and it turned out great i will post a pic when i get around to it

Back