10lb. picnic cook underway (pics)

Thomas B.

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking my first picnic as I type, it's been on almost 3 hrs now. I'm cooking a little hotter than normal (280F-ish) to speed up the cook. This is also the first time I havn't used water, just the empty pan lined with foil. Any last-minute advice on this cut? I normally foil butts at around 160F but I'm thinking I won't on this since it's got a lot of skin on it. I plan to take it off and rest it at around 195F internal.

BTW, it's cooking over Kingsford and apple chunks, skin scored and rubbed with TX BBQ Rub "brisket blend".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T.J. Balcerak:
I'm cooking my first picnic as I type, it's been on almost 3 hrs now. I'm cooking a little hotter than normal (280F-ish) to speed up the cook. This is also the first time I havn't used water, just the empty pan lined with foil. Any last-minute advice on this cut? I normally foil butts at around 160F but I'm thinking I won't on this since it's got a lot of skin on it. I plan to take it off and rest it at around 195F internal.

BTW, it's cooking over Kingsford and apple chunks, skin scored and rubbed with TX BBQ Rub "brisket blend". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I normally remove the skin from picnics just for more bark coverage, but they're good either way. Picnics will give you less yield and are leaner than a butt. So......if you like the way your butts turn out when you foil, I would foil the picnic just to keep your results consistent to your liking since the picnic is leaner to begin with. Good luck and take some pic's for us!

That makes sense, so I did foil it at about 165F. It was lookin beautiful at that point, but forgot to snap a pic... I'll get pics of the finished product.

It cooked quicker than I thought it would. I brought it in and stuck it in the oven to rest about 15 minutes ago. It had hit 198F internal. Some drippings went into the beans, and dinner will be early! And I'll get some f00d p0rn posted when I pull it! Thanks!

EDIT: Pork was fantastic, as was the doctored up baked beans I fixed up. I took a couple pics, but I'm far too full to search for the USB cable to upload the pics... maybe later!

Hey TJ, It looks great. How did the pulled picnic meat compare to the butts you normally do?

It's pretty much the same except for less bark. If I could choose butt or picnic, I'd go for butt, but I picked this up pretty cheap, so it was worth it!

Back