`°º¤YUMMY¤º°`Lo-Slo Pork Steaks

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Last week, Liz found (and bought) this on CL.
Yesterday, i cleaned'r up a little and today I fired'r up to smoke these.
DSCN0707.JPG

The day was funky, rain, then sun then clouds butt warm then more drizzle... just funky, know what i mean...?
DSCN0708.JPG

Found some stuffed clams at Sendik's and thought I could ... well...
DSCN0710.JPG
DSCN0711.JPG

I tried to smoke'em butt they were s'posta be cooked at 400'F for 20 minutes or so.
Well, I gotem smokey then actually cooked em in the oven for 15 minutes then back on the smoker/grill.
The smoker/grill was at a steady temp of ONLY 250'F.
The stuffed clams were really good! a GREAT ap! and since liz does not like em, they were double-ly GREAT!
Anyway, back to the PS's... they were on for a total of 2 hours, again at 250'F with apple wood for smoke.
The last 45 minutes, I glazed the steaks with Bandana's Sweet Chicago B-B-Que sauce.
EVOO'd, peppered & Kosher salted fingerling potatoes were also added to the smoker/grill half-way through.
DSCN0712.JPG

Meanwhile, "Liz in the kitchen" steamed Brussel sprouts then added sautéed baby portabellas and onions to them.
DSCN0714.JPG
DSCN0715.JPG

By far, this was the BEST pork steak cook I've done. I'm guessing this is the way I'll continue to cook them...
pretty easy, i did brine them over night in beer, apple juice and salt, brown sugar, pepper and water.
The rub applied was Blues Hog Rub Seasoning and, as stated above, the sauce by Bandana's Chicago Sweet BBQue Sauce.
I thank you for swingin' by, and as always, I truly appreciate your support.
icon_smile.gif

Now, ejoy your up-coming week, and <span class="ev_code_RED">GO BADGERS!!</span>

Outstanding cook and cooker!

How thick were the steaks? Want to have a shoulder cut this week but not sure how thick to tell them to cut.

Wow, that meal looks fantastic Jim!! It's nice to see a few folks here also like the 'sprouts'. No one in my family will touch 'em. One question...I've seen the pork steaks on here before, but I'm not sure what they are. Obviously bigger than chops. Are they cut from a different part of the piggie?

Wonderful looking dinner there Jim!

Those pork steaks look outstanding.
"Best pork steaks I've done" sounds like you're getting thing figured out, wish I could say the same
icon_frown.gif

Ya the weather was funky today but could be worst
icon_wink.gif

Jim, great looking meal !!! Looks like you are using the "baffle" you made. How do you like the results you get using it? I had one made after I saw your post, have used it only one time and can't decide yet whether I like it any better than using bricks.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Glenn W:
How thick were the steaks?
These were one inch steaks Glenn.
Originally posted by Mike R:
I've seen the pork steaks on here before, but I'm not sure what they are?
Mike, they are cuts from the butt (shoulder).
Originally posted by Todd H.:
Jim, How did that baffle work out for you?
EXCELLENT! I love this thing! Todd, you can read more about it here.
Jerry, I've thrown away my bricks
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone!

Well my friend, looks like you're about ready for a pork steak throwdown!

That old <span class="ev_code_RED">Badger redhead</span> did a heckuva job on everything!

I'd bet it was the best meal ever prepared on her!

Nice,nice, Very nice. I going to have to try that marinade,sounds good. I did ps one time and it took 2hrs at 250° just did ps again last week and it took 1hr.(180°internal).No flare ups.go figure!
Got to go,you made me hungry!

Thank you again
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bob Correll:That old <span class="ev_code_RED">Badger redhead</span> did a heckuva job on everything! I'd bet it was the best meal ever prepared on her!
ABSOLUTEY!
Dan, I'll do the Clams again!
Chuckie, i do not therm the steaks after that amount of time at that temp, don't feel a need to... brinin'em and keepin'em at 250'F for two hours gotta turn-out some awesome porkies!
Again, this cook was done completely indirect using the esmoker-plate i had made. Basically, using a smoker, not a kettle grill.
OK, i've had two 'tini's alwedy... am i makin' cents?!
icon_razz.gif

Thanks again!
Originally posted by Ryan Ko:
Jim, would you mind share the measurements for your brine? I would like to try this one.
Sure thing!
~ 12 oz beer (i like to use a beer i've bought and not too fond of
icon_wink.gif
)
~ 8 oz apple juice
~ 1/4 cup kosher/sea salt
~ 1/4 cup brown sugar (or turbinado sugar)
~ 1 tsp to tblsp course ground pepper (whatever you like)
Be careful when adding salt to beer or beer to salt
icon_razz.gif
you'll have foam floodin' your kitchen.
I mix the salt and sugar and pepper with the apple juice first,
stir (or shake if done in the closed jar) the livin' daylights outta it...
then gently add the beer.
Actually, pouring the beer into the mixture letting the brew "slide" down the inside of the jar keeps the foam down.
Add water to cover the meat, if needed.

Thanks again, i hope you like the brine.

Back