Performer Lid Handle Getting VERY HOT when using Vortex!!

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
When doing a cook on my 2008 Performer last night, the lid handle got so hot I had to get a pot holder to handle it. I suspect the problem is related to using my Vortex during the cook. This is the first time I have noticed this problem and I use the Vortex regularly. The only difference I can think of is the last few cooks I have been using lump instead of KBB. I know that many of the newer kettles have bolt on handles with heat shields. Since the handle on mine is welded on I can't see a heat shield being installed. Also, I am assuming that the metal on the lid is transferring the heat to the plastic handle. The only thing I have come up with is to change the handle from plastic to wood but am not sure if that would help.

Has anyone had a similar problem and what was the solution. And no, I don't want to stop using the Vortex even though I think that is why it is getting so hot due to more concentrated heat and the heat being much higher in the chamber. Any thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

George, I agree with that but was wondering what else might work. I was thinking about replacing the plastic lid handle with a wood handle but not sure if it would help. Wondering if anyone has tried this or anything else. Will of course now keep a pot holder at the Performer.

600 degrees pointing right at the handle, it's going to get hot. The first time I cooked on my SJS I noticed how hot the handle got. Heat shields work, not sure if the wood would make much difference Bob. I always have my trusty welders gloves handy.

All things being equal, the simplest solution is usually the right one. You'll never go wrong with a decent set of gloves. You're going to need them as soon as you get the lid open anyway...

Make a form, (round, I would think) add some studs to the lid, attach chicken wire, for support. Fill with heat resistant cement of some sort. Wait two days for the stuff to cure, spray to match. Then figure out how to lift the beast.
Or, just use gloves.
Have a good day.

I too have a Vortex that I use in my Platinum Performer. I changed the handle to a very attractive wooden one, however, when using the Vortex I use a glove to remove the lid. So no matter which handle you have it's going to get hot when using the Vortex.
Good luck and good cooking
Bill

Agree about the gloves. Have quite a few pairs. Will have to start keeping them and pot holders at the grill. Since daughter and grand daughter moved in with us space, even on the back porch, is at a premium. Got to build my cooking area out back but that is on the back burner right now. That will solve BBQ storage issues.

My handles can get hot even without a Vortex. With a Vortex; they must be blazing.

Last edited:
Blazing fits the bill very well. When I don't use the Vortex, it has not been an issue. I am going to order wood handles for my Performer and my WSM22 just because I love the look of them but will now keep welding gloves and pot holders at the performer all the time. The one blister has gone away and I do not want anymore. Also won't give up my Vortex since it has improved my grilling a lot. Love that thing.

My handles can get hot even without a Vortex. With a Vortex; they must be blazing.

Awhile back (maybe on the old forum? ) someone was making handle sleeves. It was thick like a pot holder but had 2 Velcro strips that held it on.
If you have a sewing machine you could make one.

Tim

Interesting idea Tim, but neither of us sew or even have a sewing machine and give the heat factor, I don't think something like that would last very long. Still an interesting idea though.

The Velcro strap would not need to be attached to the holder, you could wrap the pot holder tightly and secure it with Velcro.
Or you could do a leather sleeve on the handle. Wrap the handle with thick cowhide (wet) then go over it with wet leather shoelace to bind it. Keep it damp while you're doing it and it will shrink and tighten as it dries.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Yes I have felt the revenge of the vortex pain on both the performer and the Jumbo Joe. Now I keep and older set of silicon heat gloves under the cart the JJ sits on and which is right next to the performer. No more *&%#@## when I grab the handle.

Seems like this is the best solution since I will not give up my Vortex. Love what it does for me. I will add the wood handles only because I think they look cool and as everyone knows, I like my toy's.

Yes I have felt the revenge of the vortex pain on both the performer and the Jumbo Joe. Now I keep and older set of silicon heat gloves under the cart the JJ sits on and which is right next to the performer. No more *&%#@## when I grab the handle.

I have a daisy wheel 18.5 with wood handles. Still need a mitt, glove or pot holder when using the frustum.

Back