My Homemade WSM Performer

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A while ago I changed out my 1000 LX grill and moved it into a 3000 frame.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?64982-My-Upgraded-1000LX-to-2000LX
I had the left over 1000 frame and decided to see if I could make a cart for my 18.5 WSM because it’s such a pain to move, even with the casters on our cobble stone patio. I have to move it by taking it apart.

The cart is too narrow for the 18.5 to fit into and I no longer have my welder so whatever I did had to leave the cart at its existing width.
I also wanted to see what off the shelf things I already had I could use to complete the project.

I was lucky the side burner from the 3000 I gave to my friend who was going to put it on his 1000 decided it wasn’t a good idea because he wouldn’t have any shelf at all so he gave it back to me. So I have a built in chimney starter.

Here’s the old 1000 cart.
DSCN3272_zpslfu3njl6.jpg

Cut off the control side top rails
DSCN3274_zpsdkipj7rk.jpg

Added an extension to the lower frame. By bolting the extension tubes to the outside of the frame rails I was able to get a wide enough footprint to fit the 18.5s legs.
DSCN3387_zpsmrdfwfje.jpg

Did a mock up to see if the WSM would tip the cart forward, even with 25 pounds of bricks in the fire pit and the upper grate it stayed planted with just the side burner in place.
DSCN3384_zpsivkzavan.jpg

Got some 20 X 20 tiles to attach to the frame for shelfs.
The wood is cedar fencing so it should handle the weather okay, but like all my grills and carts it will be covered.
DSCN3474_zpsu7nryb6w.jpg

The lower kettle is secured by bolts from underneath which is bolted to the wood, the kettle sits on top of the nuts and another nut on top of the leg secures it. Simple to remove the kettle if needed.
DSCN3483_zpstw7oz5yb.jpg

A big thank you to Pat G who sent me a tank scale and mounting bracket so I could mount the tank under the side burner giving even more counter balance to the WSM.
I used a construction grade outdoor masonry adhesive to secure the upper and lower tiles to the frame.
DSCN3582_zpsr9bkqbj9.jpg

Here’s the finished product, it’s not the sexist thing on the planet but it sure does work well and it only cost $24.67. Guess I could say it’s a WSM performer.
DSCN3592_zpsg3qaptji.jpg

DSCN3595_zpsh1o6u3cp.jpg

The cart works great and I also use it for the Jumbo Joe

Last edited:

Back