Cast Iron vs. Grill Grates

John Ford

TVWBB Pro
Over the next few days I'm going to compare grill grates to the very heavy cast iron grates found on my Weber Genesis 1000 from 1999.
Mainly concerned with ability to cook more fragile items such as seafood & vegetables.
First cook squash & zucchini seasoned with olive oil & citrus blend.
Grill grates on top of standard grates. Long preheat (15 minutes)
Grilled 5 min side 1 then 4 min side 2.
Veggies turned on cast iron with tongs & on grill grates with "tool".
Set up all burners on high, forgot to take pic till most had already been removed.
d90550ef115b426a83f6b3b3a77aac7d.jpg

Cast iron on right ( darker) grill grate cooked on left lighter.

5db38ba09b1dd14b1a07921405791f36.jpg

Minimal sticking from either surface, although the grill grates worked best with tool
Both sets tasted fine.
Both worked fine.

Comparison cook for salmon.
Thick farm raised salmon seasoned with McCormick salmon rub then coated with olive oil.
Long preheat, cooked on high for 5 min on meat then 4 min skin side down.
Minimal sticking, lost a tiny chunk of fish on grill grates.
Good sear on both, no significant difference.
Cast iron
78c07fced2f790fd262ff4079a99aa6e.jpg

Grill grates

6ff3614c062f3bc930ead0b1217952f3.jpg

Next cook catfish, a little more fragile fish.

Catfish grille on the grates
I often when eating less calories grill fish & shrimp as I'm not a big fan of "Boneless, Skinless, Tasteless chicken breasts."
Catfish is easily obtained, stored frozen glazed in bags, & to me is preferable to Tilapia ( Boneless, Tasteless fish filets)
It is more fragile than tuna or salmon which I often grill.
Grill grates on right, cast iron on left
The filets were seasoned with SZEGED fish rub then liberally coated with olive oil

aafa5a06a457126b3621e3430ff97df2.jpg
fbbe016d2d2f0858151ac121d225c43d.jpg

The cast iron did great, no sticking, good sear marks.
The grill grates stuck & the seared part stuck to grates.

Catfish grille on the grates
I often when eating less calories grill fish & shrimp as I'm not a big fan of "Boneless, Skinless, Tasteless chicken breasts."
Catfish is easily obtained, stored frozen glazed in bags, & to me is preferable to Tilapia ( Boneless, Tasteless fish filets)
It is more fragile than tuna or salmon which I often grill.
Grill grates on right, cast iron on left
The filets were seasoned with SZEGED fish rub then liberally coated with olive oil

aafa5a06a457126b3621e3430ff97df2.jpg
fbbe016d2d2f0858151ac121d225c43d.jpg

The cast iron did great, no sticking, good sear marks.
The grill grates stuck & the seared part stuck to grates.

I think the reason Amazingribs.com is so big on grillgrates is that you can turn it upside down and use it like a griddle for more of all around sear. Personally I'd stick with the cast iron. Cool post!

Thanks for the comparison, John. It's really useful to see real life results.

I've been considering Grill Grates just for fish. Looks like I will skip those at this time.

I think both have their place in grilling, it's what works best for you. I have CIs on my genesis 1000/2000 and my NG E320. I've been very pleased with their performance so never looked at grill grates.
Thanks for taking the time to share your results.

Just add a little pressure with one of these, and i think the results might change on the cast iron and grill grates. Just my 2 cents.

IMG_3846_zpsve7bn7ab.jpg

IMG_3657_zpsjayb4kah.jpg

IMG_3661_zpsmuzfdgc9.jpg

IMG_3665_zpstltomwxz.jpg

Good reference points, for all of it! I think I want some cast iron!
I said want not, need!
Or maybe, I just need a weight?

Good reference points, for all of it! I think I want some cast iron!
I said want not, need!
Or maybe, I just need a weight?
Don't get me wrong, for dense food, steaks, chops etc a weight does help with the searing no matter what grate.
If you used a weight on most seafood or veggies you'd just destroy the food.

John, it looks like your grillgrates are bone dry and were not oiled. Is there a reason for that? They work quite well if they get a splash of oil before they are used.

Interesting post John. I've been vacillating on whether or not to try out Grill Grates. I have a ton of various cast iron products which work well for me. Still thinking...

One thing I like abut the ones for a kettle is the way it's divided in quarters. After seeing the other thread on breaded "grill baked" poultry the ability to use 3/4 for product and still have pretty much unhindered access to heat.

One thing I like abut the ones for a kettle is the way it's divided in quarters. After seeing the other thread on breaded "grill baked" poultry the ability to use 3/4 for product and still have pretty much unhindered access to heat.

I like your Clampett quote. Jed would be proud! MMmmmm Dogies!

The cast iron results look the best. Most of my grills have cast iron grates. I've never been interested in those grill grates.

Back