Low and Slow Pork Shoulder

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Friday evening I rubbed down and 8.5 lb. pork shoulder with K Salt and let it dry brine in the fridge overnight. Got up at 4:00 am Saturday morning and rubbed it down with Meatheads Memphis Dust.

Got the WSM up to a steady 225. Got the shoulder going at around 5:30 am using apple wood for smoke.

Thin blue smoke. Ready for the long haul.

Two hour mark.

Roughly 4 hours. 156 IT at this point.

Didn't foil so during the stall watched the Giants game and made the sauce. Used Meathead's Grownup Mustard Sauce recipe. This was absolutely fantastic and better than any bottled sauce I've ever had. Sauce ingredients.

Finally started creeping up around 5:00, but very slowly.

Just about there.

Had just enough time to give it a 30 minute rest.

Last edited:
Bone practically fell out.

Started the pull.

My wife made a delicious Potato Salad to go with our meal. Served the pork on onion rolls.

We both loved this meal. My wife felt it was the best pulled pork I've ever done. Ran the entire cook at 225 smoker temp except for the last hour or so. Boosted the temp up to 280 so we could eat on time. Total cooking time 15 hours, ten minutes. It was a great way to spend Smoke Day. Have a good remaining holiday weekend. Stay safe and thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great, Cliff! I'm a big proponent of onion rolls. Whether it be pulled pork, a hamburger or even a simple ham and cheese, they take everything up a notch.

Looks delicious Cliff! I'm going to go find Meathead's recipe for that sauce, your raves about it sold me on it!

Last edited:
Cliff, that is out of the park fantastic cook. We like the #5 sauce but will have to check out Meathead's recipe. Awesome pics my friend and enjoy the rest of the holiday.

Great looking Low and Slow Pork Shoulder sammie's Cliff.
Never heard of Meathead's Grownup Mustard Sauce recipe, have too give that a look see.

Don't know how I missed this one Cliff but that is one fine looking shoulder, perfect cook. I love trying new sauces, when I'm in a hurry #5 is the go to. Looking at the ingredients that Meathead sauce looks like something I would want to try.
Did you get the recipe off his web site?

Last edited:
Great looking pork. How does the dry brine affect the taste and texture of the pork?

To be truthful, I was a little apprehensive about the dry brine. I read quite a bit of Meathead's article. It's supposed to aid in moisture retention during the cooking process and also act as a flavor enhancer. I'm so glad I did it and will do so again. This pork had a delicious flavor, even before saucing, and was very moist. The key is to not overdo the salt. I used 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher Salt per pound of meat. I used 4 1/4 teaspoons of salt on my 8.5 lb. pork shoulder.

Most impressive, Cliff. From what I see in the pulled photos, the texture looks perfect with nice bits of bark uniformly dispersed throughout. Big thumbs up in this cook!

Back