Tacos de Lengua. ( Beef tongue tacos) #WSCG

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I know it's not everyone's favorite but for those of you that like this here you go. By the way why is it expensive of no one likes it!!!

our process on how we made the lengua. Here's what we did....
1. Cleaned and peeled the beef tongue first.
2. Apply some olive oil and then use your favorite beef seasoning.
3. Set up your your grill or smoker for indirect cooking. Add hickory or mesquite wood chunks. Smoker temp 275
4. When the tongue hits 160 or you get the "color" you want wrap in foil.
5. Cook until done internal temperature of the tongue is 200.
6. Rest the tongue for 1 hour before slicing or chopping.
7. Make tacos and enjoy.

Coming up to temp

Plated and ready to eat!

Thanks for stopping by

Tony and Maribel

Tony and Maribel -

I've been a longtime admirer of your past cooks for tacos de lengua using your other grills, and I had a feeling that this one on the Summit Charcoal was coming. The photo of the chopped up lengua is just a thing of beauty. I've got a beef tongue in my freezer, and after seeing this post, I'm getting the urge to attempt tacos de lengua myself for the first time. I've tried tacos de lengua at a restaurant before, and I've become a big fan of beef tongue as a taco filling, but the restaurant doesn't smoke their meat, which I imagine adds a whole new dimension of flavor to the beef tongue. Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Tony and Maribel -

I've been a longtime admirer of your past cooks for tacos de lengua using your other grills, and I had a feeling that this one on the Summit Charcoal was coming. The photo of the chopped up lengua is just a thing of beauty. I've got a beef tongue in my freezer, and after seeing this post, I'm getting the urge to attempt tacos de lengua myself for the first time. I've tried tacos de lengua at a restaurant before, and I've become a big fan of beef tongue as a taco filling, but the restaurant doesn't smoke their meat, which I imagine adds a whole new dimension of flavor to the beef tongue. Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Give it a try and I bet you will be hooked.

I have always peeled it after the cook and see now that may have been holding back some flavor, next cook the tongue gets peeled first. Excellent looking cook

Tony, looks terrific! I have never prepared beef tongue, what exactly do you peal?

Also, are you joining the Smoke Day Festivities? If so will you be cooking on your WSM or your WSCG?

Tony that looks absolutely awesome! I haven't had Beef Tongue since my mom made it when I was young.
That is one of the best looking things I've seen in a long time! Amazing pictures also.
I'm going to get one now!

Last edited:
Beef tongue is so under-rated. I love it. My Mum used to cook it, wrap it up tight, let it cool then place in the fridge. Slice for sandwiches as you would ham. Beautiful. (Google sliced beef tongue).
I have heard of people slicing the tongue raw, seasoning it and cooking it like thin steaks. I might try that.

Sorry to hijack your thread Tony. That's a fine looking TdL indeed. :)

That looks amazing Tony. I think most of those who say they don't like beef tongue, have never tried beef tongue. It's delicious, especially as tacos de lengua! Looks like you smoked/grilled? the chiles and tomatillos for your salsa verde. I'll bet that's perfect on those tacos...or anything else.
Questions: How did you peel the tongue? Did you scald it first?

Tony, that is a spectacular cook. I've never had beef tongue but your presentation looks delicious. Just might give it a try one of these days. Your photos are superb. Are you still shooting with your IPhone 6?

Tony, looks terrific! I have never prepared beef tongue, what exactly do you peal?

Also, are you joining the Smoke Day Festivities? If so will you be cooking on your WSM or your WSCG?
I will BBQ. But haven't decided what to do yet. I don't have a WSM anymore. Sold it once I got the WSCG

That looks amazing Tony. I think most of those who say they don't like beef tongue, have never tried beef tongue. It's delicious, especially as tacos de lengua! Looks like you smoked/grilled? the chiles and tomatillos for your salsa verde. I'll bet that's perfect on those tacos...or anything else.
Questions: How did you peel the tongue? Did you scald it first?

Just used my sharpest knife. No par boil

- - - Updated - - -

You trim the thick skin it has on the tongue

- - - Updated - - -

Tony, that is a spectacular cook. I've never had beef tongue but your presentation looks delicious. Just might give it a try one of these days. Your photos are superb. Are you still shooting with your IPhone 6?

Yes. iPhone 6

Forget the tacos! You're an expert at that.....just amazing as always!
But I love your new Summit!!! Awesome setup!

Tony another great cook and you make it look so easy like building a house on one hour tv show.
I have never tried togue yet but I will now that I know what it called .
THANKS for sharing .

So I'm thinking on trying this one this weekend. It looks very good. My question is does it get "probe tender" like a brisket?

Back