How many racks of baby back will fit on WSM 18

Dale Ward

TVWBB Fan
Buddy just got an WSM 18 I found on craigslist for 100 bucks,
We are going to do rib next weekend not sure how many racks of ribs we can get in it,

It took some work adjusting things but I managed to fit 9 full racks of baby backs on my 18" between the 2 grates. I have five on top with a rib rack, 3 in the rack and 2 on top laying across them and 4 more curled up on the bottom rack. I did have to turn the edges of the top racks a bit to keep them away from the sides though. Other then that day I routinely do 5-6 easily

It took some work adjusting things but I managed to fit 9 full racks of baby backs on my 18" between the 2 grates. I have five on top with a rib rack, 3 in the rack and 2 on top laying across them and 4 more curled up on the bottom rack. I did have to turn the edges of the top racks a bit to keep them away from the sides though. Other then that day I routinely do 5-6 easily

Can you post a picture of what it looked like what that many on there?

With two rib racks you can put 10 racks on if you are ok with the edges burning. 7 if you cut them 2/3 1/3

I've done 9 (3 of the three packs) with rib racks and ribs cut in half. I think I recall a picture on this forum once with 12 but there was a lot of stacking going on. I think they leaned 1/2 racks on the sides of the ribs that were racked up and one on top.

You probably get 4-6 racks of Baby Backs if you use Rib Racks on each grill grate and cut the ribs in half or thirds before cooking.

Back