Grad Party cook review...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Taylor

TVWBB All-Star
Well the big cook is over and in the books!

Funny, what started as a party for 300, quickly dwindled to 150. We cooked up only 32 racks of ribs and 30 lbs. of bonless skinless chicken breasts and I brought 30 lbs. of pulled pork.

Thanks to Jim Papajesk, who not only brought another WSM, but also helped during cooking and serving. He was invaluable and there is NO way I could have done this many people alone!

Some things I learned.......

Found a new rib supplier! We got the spares from Gordon Food Service where we requested 2 1/2 and down, cut St. Louis style. These came frozen and looked VERY thin when I picked them up. So thin, I thought of altering my cooking times. I decided to stick with my 6 hour cook time and I am happy I did. I swear these things plumped up when cooked!! Honest, just like a Ballpark Frank..it plumps when you cook it! They proved to be very meaty.

The trim was VERY nice and no messy tips to fool with. The price was an outstanding $2.40/lb. Now, that was at a discount but I just ordered another box and the price came to $2.70/lb. They are frozen, but I noticed no ill effects after cooking.

One other GREAT thing....the racks measure 16"!! That means you can easily get 3 to lay flat on each grate.

With loin backs back up to $3.87/lb. I will be using GFS for the remainder of the summer. They cooked exactly the same as my loin backs....foil and all!

I didn't skin the membranes. It was late Friday night before the ribs were thawed, so I just made slits on the bone side of the rack in between the bones. This worked out great and again didn't notice any ill effects when serving. Though I still prefer skinning, I am now comfortable with NOT doing it if I have to.

I was able to get 10 racks per WSM with NO squeezing. How?? I needed a few more rib racks so went to Lowes to buy some Weber racks. I noticed they had some CharBroil Rib and Potato racks for $8/rack....cheaper by $4 than the Webers. Even better..they can fit 8 half slabs of ribs!! Yes, by spreading the grooves apart, you can have 8 slots to fill. Now, the outside 2 were hanging over the water pan, so I didn't use them. I did use 6 slots(3 slabs), then placed 2 half slabs on top of these and 2 more half slabs on each side of the rack. What a sweet set-up! NO burning and they all cooked pretty evenly...though I did alternate top and bottom grates halfway thru. These racks are great...NOT the thickness of the Weber's but they held up fine and I envision using them more often.

I wasn't up to making gallons of sauce so I used Sweet Baby Ray's thinned with some pineapple juice. I also made a batch using it and added white pepper, black pepper and cayenne pepper....I simmered this for about 30 minutes and it came out great...VERY hot(that is what I wanted).

For the chicken I wanted something that tasted a little different than the ribs, so used Open Pit and added pineapple until I had a very thin baste. The folks requested NO BBQ sauce on the chicken so I used this instead. We got many, many compliments on the chicken. We just grilled it over lump charcoal so that shows if you cook chicken properly people will think it is the best they ever tasted!

We had 4 extra racks of ribs so I experimented by cooking indirect on the grill we had. VERY bad ribs..and I babyed them so they wouldn't burn! I now understand why lower temps are needed to make a superior rib. The indirect heat method just didn't work......for me.

OK, that's enough! Bordering on boring y'all.

The ultimate compliment was when the guests from Tennessee admitted(after badgering for me for 2 days! LOL) I cooked a better rib than they have ever eaten!

Sounds like you did pretty good job. I'm cooking for my nephews graduation party Saturday. Around 125 maximum. I'm going to Peoria Packing in Chicago to pick up the ribs. I wish I had known about the St. Louis style price at Gordon's. I probably would have ordered them from them on your suggestion. I'm going to buy about 100 lbs of spares and see if they will trim them. If not I'll do it myself.

I'm going to use Sweet Baby Ray's too. I think I may thin it down with cranberry juice or apple juice. I'm going to make a hotter sauce too. But this crowd prefers sweet.

I will be making some of the ABTs most jalapeno's but a few with habs. I guess there is one guy who brags and likes real hot food. I think I may double stuff one for him. With an extra hab that is. If that doesn't get him I'll just use some pure capsican. <G>

I found a great Mexican place here in town. We will have to check it out. If there is time we can go check out a butcher nearby who makes some pretty good jerky too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OK, that's enough! Bordering on boring y'all.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Never Stogie. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Jim

Kevin,

Sounds like you were busy, wish I could have been there to help, but, it sounds like you handled it well.

I volunteered to cook pulled pork for a July 4th party of 40 people. This will be the first time that I have cooked for people other than family or employees. Wish me luck, any suggestions. I was figuring on cooking 5 pork butts avg weight 7 pounds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> OK, that's enough! Bordering on boring y'all.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Kevin,

Not me, I found your post interesting, especially how you amped up the Sweet Baby Ray with heat and thinned the Open Pit with Pineapple juice. I, occasionally, use SBR and always cut it with cranberry juice, it's way too sweet IMHO, but never thought of spicing it up.

Mainly I use two sauces that I make, a spicy version of Tommy Bowen's and a South Carolina Mustard based sauce.

On the food service ribs, were they pumped, as in 10% phosphate and water added, that may account for the plumping effect.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary

Good Morning Bruce B...
I am smoking butts for my local Rotary Club in the near future and have the same question... I expect around 40 people to attend and want to know approximately how many pounds of meat to cook... I was planning on around 35 to 40 pounds..
Would you let me know how your cook went and share any information of what you did right and wrong? Your help would be appreciated... Thanks and...

Cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bill,

Ready for some math...I figure 5 butts, avg. weight 7lb., that's 35lb raw weight. If you lose 50% during the cook, you cook weight should be around 18lb. lets say, that's 288 ounces. At 6 ounces per person, that should be enough to feed 48 people. Should be enough, there will be other meats there and other sides. 6 ounces is a little on the high side per person, but some will eat more some will eat less. I'll keep you posted. If anyone sees any flaws in my planning please let me know.

Stogie,

WTG on the party! Did I read it right...did you make 32 racks of ribs on 2 WSMs??? Geeze...and I thought I was brilliant rolling up nine on my WSM.
Do you find that the majority of the crowd likes em hot? I've had just the opposite experience and always make mine mild to appeal to the masses. I even leave out the cayenne in the BRITU recipe, although when you see how much the recipe makes it really is a small amount of heat comparitively. Maybe it's an east coast thing...
A friend of mine from NC gave me a recipe for pinto beans that was incredible! A nice brown gravy like traditional baked beans but savory, not at all sweet, with bits of onion and green and red pepper...a perfect compliment to the sweetness of the ribs, add some slaw and you have perfection on a plate. Since he measured nothing, I need to experiment and get measurements and then I will post it on the board.
The downside is it takes a day to make it as the beans must soak up the liquid overnight. The good news is they get better on the second and third day...that is, if you have any left over...
Congrads again on the party!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OK, that's enough! Bordering on boring y'all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No way Stogie! You always offer the best here.

Your information is invaluable.

Congrats!

Thanks to all of you for the replies! Now to answer some questions.....

Bruce Cook......yes, I will take you up on the new Mexican place..we have lots to catch up on!

Gary Wiv....no, the ribs were not tumbled and injected. I just cooked up another batch of these same ribs this past Friday for a party of about 25 folks. Same great results! I am sure these things aren't really plumping up, but it sure looks like they do! LOL

Gal....nope, I had 3 WSM's to use and was able to fit 10 per unit. I used the rib racks I mentioned and that will be the way I cook ribs from now on. Rolling is pretty neat, but when I foil, they do not lay flat. You need them to lay flat so they simmer in their own juices.

No heat for the masses!! I made this sauce to serve with the 32lbs. of pulled pork I brought along. I had a group from TN who told me they like their pork on the hot side...so they got hot! 160,000 BTU's worth!! LOL I usually use straight cap, as it heats things up without the horrible flavors that most every hot sauce has, but my supplier was out of stock so I used the high-heat cayenne and cooked it into the sauce the night before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb]I had 3 WSM's to use and was able to fit 10 per unit. I used the rib racks I mentioned and that will be the way I cook ribs from now on.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Stogie,

I know you've got a few WSM cooking photos on your site. You should consider adding a photo of this setup so we can all have a peak!

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back