Old guys--- Veteran WSM owners chime in -- Is the 22 upgrade worthwhile?

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
I have 2 - 18' WSM's ( I gave one to my dad 5 years ago ). Ive been cooking on my original WSM since 03. I hate coiling or racking ribs & measuring brisket to fit under the dome.

I apologize that I probably have only been on here a handful of times in the past 10 years.

What do all of you original WSM owners think of the 22?

Matt

On the top rack I can lay three racks of spare ribs flat, a packer brisket flat, a 23# turkey, etc, etc. I have a 14.5" for the RV due to its portability, but at home I can't see anything less than a 22.5".

Last edited:
I have all 3, the 22 is huge so if that's what ya want is more room do it , you can easily fit 2 briskets flat in there

I started with a 22 and can't see any reason to do anything else. If I am going to do butts, I will always to 2 and then maybe do a brisket at the same time. Can't go wrong. Fuel is not that expensive that I am going to worry about it. The big ticket items are the meat anyway. Whatever floats your boat is the key here. Good luck either way.

FC759C92-35CF-4657-9006-93CD33429337_zpsjj410dxz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]I pulled the trigger. 2 chickens on the bottom. Single slab of St. Louis cut on the top. Added some wheels to the base while the chimney was lighting the coals!
4820FCBD-2FD0-4D24-8FEF-DFC659B1410E_zps3shvx2kh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I had buyers remorse when my 18 showed up from Amazon. Luckily it was damaged and got free shipping back to Amazon. I picked up a 22' locally already put together and at a $25 less charge. I have had the 22 full of chicken, 4 whole chicken in halves on the top and 24 legs on the bottom. Temps held in the 250 range with little effort. Fuel cost is something I do not manage because I buy on sale during the year.

I like my 18", but at times whished for more space. I thought about getting the 22", but instead I ordered the WSCG. With 24", plus my 18" WSM, I should be good.

I'm new to WSM as I just picked up the 18". After reading this forum, I'm debating if I should've gone with the 22"? I have a small household and it's mainly for the wife and I. Looking to do our thanksgiving turkey this year. I haven't used it yet, since I'm still on the fence with the size difference. Any information would be grateful. Thanks. :)

Matt, now that you have the 22" WSM, what would your advice be to others contemplating the 22" vs the 18" ??

I only ever had that 18" --- since that's all there was. I like the size of the 22". Still breaking it in and not trusting it like I can with the 18". --- I also just went to the clay saucer in the water pan technique. Got some rib cooks and and a couple of briskest to cook this month.

Still looking at a cyberq as well.

I'm new to WSM as I just picked up the 18". After reading this forum, I'm debating if I should've gone with the 22"? I have a small household and it's mainly for the wife and I. Looking to do our thanksgiving turkey this year. I haven't used it yet, since I'm still on the fence with the size difference. Any information would be grateful. Thanks. :)

I wouldn't sweat it, keep the 18". I have never had a problem cooking on the 18", in fact I entered and placed in a BBQ compitition with it. I have longed for more space, but for most cooks, the 18" is just fine.

Also know that it will cook your t-day turkey just fine, but make sure you practice with a trial run or two before the big event.

I wouldn't sweat it, keep the 18". I have never had a problem cooking on the 18", in fact I entered and placed in a BBQ compitition with it. I have longed for more space, but for most cooks, the 18" is just fine.

Also know that it will cook your t-day turkey just fine, but make sure you practice with a trial run or two before the big event.

It's just be wanting the bigger one. I know 18 should be fine. I'm leaning towards keeping it because I got a good deal on it. The bigger 22 would be 150 more. Not sure it's worth it if it's for two adults.

How big of a turkey and brisket were you able to do on the 18"?

I'm sure you'll be more than fine with the 18.5". That's what I have and there are four of us (wife, 2 teen daughters, me). I easily fit two pork butts on the top grate, and could have put two more on the bottom if I wanted to. I've seen people here and on other forums post brisket cooks up to 13-14 pounds I think, and a few up to 15 pounds with a little bending. I haven't made a brisket or turkey myself though.

Jason

Back