The Chicken-Rice Combo

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I have a new favorite Mexican Rice recipe that I'm tweaking----It's close. (from ATK Best Mexican Recipes)

12976931_10206223773415184_3012924557332915156_o.jpg

at the halfway point, ready to be stirred
12961216_10206223773135177_533581534464012014_o.jpg

Chicken thighs on the gasser - seasoned with a little Chef Merito's chicken seasoning:
12977235_10206223773655190_1557851826655587257_o.jpg

Oops I forgot the Cilantro at the end:
12977154_10206223774055200_5788765446410978375_o.jpg

Chicken (especially thighs) & Rice is a true happy meal. I'd be thrilled with a plate of that

Clint, looks great!!! Any chance you can post the recipe for the rice? I'm still hunting for my favorite.....

Rich

That's a mighty fine looking plate there Clint. I finally figured out how to cook decent rice at high altitude so I'm tweaking my Mexican rice also.

Here it is - -& Rich D, try this... Last time the texture was perfect right out of the gate, this time I left it uncovered in the oven for around 10 minutes afterwards trying to duplicate my first success (it worked :) )

This is from America's Test Kitchen's "Best Mexican Recipes". I have two of their Mexican cookbooks - the other one is their "Complete Vegetarian Cookbook".... They're both worthwhile, and the veg one is the first place I saw a good way to line out enchiladas in a pan.

Classic Mexican Rice
Serves 6 to 8

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS: Traditional Mexican rice is a cornerstone of Mexican cuisine, and it’s easy to understand why: Nutty, tender rice is perfectly complemented by plenty of aromatic ingredients, and the dish has an appealing, clean, grassy spice from fresh chiles. The rice is usually fried until golden, which gives it its signature nutty flavor; tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chicken broth add complexity and savory flavors. This versatile side can accompany any number of Mexican dishes, from enchiladas to moles and beyond. But many versions we tried turned out soupy, oily, or one-note. We wanted a version with clean, balanced flavor and tender rice that wasn’t greasy or watery. Traditionally, the liquid component in this dish is a mix of chicken broth and pureed fresh tomatoes; we settled on equal parts of each for the most balanced flavor. For an appealing red color we added tomato paste, which, although nontraditional, boosted flavor as well. Sautéing the rice in just ⅓ cup of oil (rather than deep-frying it, as some recipes suggested) made for a less oily final dish, and cooking the rice until golden helped develop deep, toasty notes. Moving the cooking from the stovetop to the even heat of the oven ensured that the rice cooked uniformly. A bit of fresh cilantro, fresh minced jalapeño, and a squeeze of lime juice provided brightness and complemented the rich rice. To make this dish vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. See the sidebar that follows the recipe.

2 tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 onion, chopped coarse
3 jalapeño chiles, stemmed
⅓ cup vegetable oil
2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ cup minced fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Process tomatoes and onion in food processor until smooth, about 15 seconds. Transfer mixture to 4-cup liquid measuring cup and spoon off excess as needed until mixture measures 2 cups. Remove ribs and seeds from 2 jalapeños and discard; mince flesh and set aside. Mince remaining 1 jalapeño, including ribs and seeds; set aside.
2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Drop 3 or 4 grains rice in oil; if grains sizzle, oil is ready. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and reserved seeded jalapeños and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 ½ minutes. Stir in pureed tomato-onion mixture, broth, tomato paste, and salt and bring to boil. Cover, transfer pot to oven, and bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.
4. Remove pot from oven and fold in cilantro and reserved jalapeño with seeds to taste. Serve with lime wedges.

The Editors at America's Test Kitchen (2015-04-15). The Best Mexican Recipes: Kitchen-Tested Recipes Put the Real Flavors of Mexico within Reach (Kindle Locations 7884-7893). Boston Common Press. Kindle Edition.

***I did some substitutions... I didn't want to open a can for just a little tomato paste so I used some jarred chipotle/sauce, I used chef merito chicken seasoning & water in place of broth, next time I'm going to go just a little lighter on both the onion & the garlic, and 1/4 cup instead of 1/3 cup on the oil.

Edit:>>> I did this in a 12" cast iron pan with very little room to spare..... it makes a lot.

Last edited:
I like this Clint, we will have to give it a try because it looks and sounds delicious.

Many thanks, Clint! I will sure give this a try, and will also convert it to my Instant Pot (I'll post it up in the Recipes section once I get the liquid ratio and times figured....)

Cheers!

Rich

Another delicious looking cook Clint! After a couple days in the low 90's it's rather chilly and damp this evening. A plate of that chicken and rice would go well right now!

Looks very tasty Clint. I love me some chicken thighs, best part of the chicken for grilling.

Back