**One Touch Platinum rehab**

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
I found a "DD" 2000 Green One Touch Platinum in very rough shape. The bowl was rusted out pretty bad, so I decided to do a little modification to the restoration.

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

I pressure washed the plastic table top and frame braces, sandblasted the wire shelf and repainted with a Hammered finish on the frame as well.

Popped the welds off the bowl brackets, lightly blasted and repainted with Dupli-Color Engine Red.

IMG_2430_1.jpg

Dropped a restored "EZ" 1998 Red Master-Touch into the frame, secured with stainless hardware.

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

Added the vent handle from the original Greenie and found a matching grooved handle from an old Weber chimney.

IMG_2436.jpg

I kind of agonized over which Red kettle to chop and drill, but the Master-Touch was a no brainer since it only has the one bowl handle and all my others have two. This one had a broken weld on the handle secured with nut and bolt so it was fairly easy to pop the remaining weld on the handle.

No way around it, I used some nickel plated hole plugs drilled through and secured with stainless bolt and acorn nuts-not the prettiest, but it works for me.

IMG_2439.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

From the rust and ashes it will rise and live to grill on!

IMG_2438.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Strong work!
I notice it's "left handed" interesting, mine lines up the other way (table to right) have not set up any photobucket affiliation but, I have done a boatload of modification to mine since a pair of accidents made "improvements" necessary.
That looks pretty darned nice, I think I need another project well, maybe not quite yet.

Strong work!
I notice it's "left handed" interesting, mine lines up the other way (table to right) have not set up any photobucket affiliation but, I have done a boatload of modification to mine since a pair of accidents made "improvements" necessary.
That looks pretty darned nice, I think I need another project well, maybe not quite yet.

Well, I am a Lefty!

I know this is an old thread, but I recently acquired an older beat up performer that I would like to restore.

The bowl is rusted through, but I want to remove the brackets and place them on another kettle to by mounted. How did you pop the brackets off?

Great work Brian. I have a 2001 model and the bowl like yours has burnt holes through where the charcoal grate tabs are welded on. So, like you I have decided to change the bowl. You say you popped the bowl flanges off. Was that easy? How did you attach the flanges to the new bowl?

Cheers,
Alan :)

@Michael L & @Alan Keen-
I was able to locate the spot welds by wiggling the brackets. Wear safety glasses! There are 3 spot welds and I drilled behind them inside the bowl, just enough into the bowl and not into the brackets. It was time consuming and slow going but it paid off. I had to grind down the welds and sandblasted the porcelain finish to get a base the red paint would adhere to.

Back