Pitmaster Book?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Any suggested reading (books) here?

I thought about the book that Franklin BBQ offers, but I don't think he mentions the WSM much, as he prefers offset smokers.

Last edited:
Weber's Smoke, Low & slow by Gary Wiviott, Smoke & Spice by Cheryl & Bill Jamison (one of my faves).

Weber is coming out with a book in April; "New American BBQ", it's a modern spin on the classics.

I've got the Franklyn book but have only spot read it so far, seems more for stick burners.

I thought about the book that Franklin BBQ offers, but I don't think he mentions the WSM much, as he prefers offset smokers.

Better question -- why do you need it to mention a WSM? Barbecue is barbecue, and results will vary across a plethora of cooking devices/chambers. It's up to you as the pitmaster to figure out what works best.

I understand where you're going with your question, as some tips would certainly help, but I think you should focus on the basic recipe and overall cooking technique (not necessarily device-specific), and do your research on WSM-specific technique here on these forums.

There's no reason to stop yourself from buying a BBQ book if it doesn't mention your WSM. In fairness, Frnaklin does spend a decent amount of the book talking about his pits and how to build one, etc, but that's just his personal passion and interest. His recipes don't require an offset by any means.

I can't understand why my stash of hickory has problems with creosote while the kiln-dried stuff does not. Maybe a pitmaster book will go into detail about this.

I can't understand why my stash of hickory has problems with creosote while the kiln-dried stuff does not. Maybe a pitmaster book will go into detail about this.

I maybe having the same issue or have come to the conclusion that I don't care much for the hickory flavor...

Franklin and his book really do talk about stick burners. I believe at one point he calls a weber kettle flimsy. While he talks about a offset his cooking theory can be utilized with all types of cookers.

Franklin book talks a lot about birsket witch is good .but secrets to smoking on the wsm by bill gillespie pit master of smokin hoggz bbq Is a good all a round book and has great recipes and rub and sause I just finished reading it happy smoking and good eating

:wsm::kingsford::blackkettle::blackkettle::smokeyjoe:

I maybe having the same issue or have come to the conclusion that I don't care much for the hickory flavor...

Just smoked two picnics today, and the wood did just fine. I made sure to bury several big chunks at the start (Minion method), and I placed two pre-chared chunks on top of the coal pile.

Weber's Smoke, Low & slow by Gary Wiviott, Smoke & Spice by Cheryl & Bill Jamison (one of my faves).

I too would suggest smoke & spice by the Jamisons. It doesn't talk much about smoke but Paul Kirks championship barbeque sauce book is great for learning the basics of building your own dry rubs and has some great recipes too.

Rusty
You are right. Not very much WSM in the Aaron's book.
But tons of great tips and tecnique to master BBQ.
I find it very usefull.

I learned from the best (Chris Allingham!) long before I ever logged into the forum.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

I have a lot of bbq books but I mostly just thumb through them or buy it for a specific recipe or because it was recommended by someone.

I say buy all the books that are recommended and that you find interesting, but there's nothing better than this website with Chris' logs, notes, pics, and videos.

I learned from the best (Chris Allingham!) long before I ever logged into the forum.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

I have a lot of bbq books but I mostly just thumb through them or buy it for a specific recipe or because it was recommended by someone.

I say buy all the books that are recommended and that you find interesting, but there's nothing better than this website with Chris' logs, notes, pics, and videos.

I agree 150% Clint. I have a number of books, all very good, but honestly the bulk of what I've learned and the cooks that I've done have come from Chris' articles. Chris, if you read this thank you so much for the wealth of info and advice on this site. I would recommend to any newbie that before even cracking the pages of ANY book spend some time reading the articles on this site. It will give you a great foundation on which to build.

It's a fun read & great book. Will set you up with some "theory" that can be applied directly to the WSM. Weber's "Smoke" is pretty good.

I will start by saying that everything you need to know about smoking and BBQ is on this site, and then throw in every thing you need to know about the WSM.

When "getting into" smoking, I think we all are thirsty for knowledge and looking for tips, ideas, techniques, etc. I have purchased 5 or 6 book (the recommended ones) and they are all basically the same, and not as complete as this site. I have not picked up a thing from any of the books that was not on this site.

IMHO, we are looking from something from one of the "expert" authors, for a secret or whatever. There are a lot of experts on this site, and all of the recipes and techniques are basically the same with minor variations.

Just have fun, start with a basic recipe and technique, read this site and experiment with the things that appeal to you.

I will start by saying that everything you need to know about smoking and BBQ is on this site, and then throw in every thing you need to know about the WSM.

When "getting into" smoking, I think we all are thirsty for knowledge and looking for tips, ideas, techniques, etc. I have purchased 5 or 6 book (the recommended ones) and they are all basically the same, and not as complete as this site. I have not picked up a thing from any of the books that was not on this site.

IMHO, we are looking from something from one of the "expert" authors, for a secret or whatever. There are a lot of experts on this site, and all of the recipes and techniques are basically the same with minor variations.

Just have fun, start with a basic recipe and technique, read this site and experiment with the things that appeal to you.
Spot on!

I have a few bbq books, but I don't really use them much. I get my inspiration from all the expert cooks on here.

TVWBB BBQ Book. Recipe's etc donated by site members, & procedes could help Chris run the site. I'd buy it! I know it would take a lot of work. Just a thought.

Back