WSM 22½” ‘butt’ preparation & rub recipe (and outcome)

Petroni North

TVWBB Member
First WSM 22½” ‘butt’ preparation & rub recipe (and outcome)

Two whole pork shoulders (aka hand & spring or leg & topshoulder), skin on, bone in but no trotter

Skinned both joints leaving all but the most flabby edge fat on the joints to help baste it when cooking

Waste skin weighed 381gms joint one and 356gms on joint 2 leaving both joints at 3.7kgs (just over 8lbs) precooked weight. The skin removal lost 10-11% of initial weight

Cut thru the top fat until I hit meat. Went through the meat 1-2 mm in places but with care I pretty much avoided anything deeper (I need a sharper knife for this bit) Patted dry with paper towel.

Made up a batch of my ‘house rub’ (which I have used on my pork ribs on BBQ grill for years - details below) and applied 63gm or 2¼oz on the first joint rubbing plenty into every cut until 100% covered. Did same with second joint but doubled the amount of rub to test the difference between them when eaten (123g or 4¼oz)

Put the joints back into the bags they came from the butcher in and used masking tape to seal the tops after squeezing out as much air as I could.

Placed in fridge at 4c at 12.30 Saturday and left for over 24hours (accurate time tba)

The rub recipe used on these
20g Smoked paprika
20g Paprika
80g Dark Muscovado sugar
8g Chilli powder
20g Table salt
20g Garlic powder
20g Black pepper (ground)
5g English mustard powder
10g Cumin (ground)

Usually I would have added 20g of onion powder but I had run out. I also cut the chilli in half from my usual rub and left out the 10g of cayenne completely as I will be taste testing this cook on a bunch of people and some are not into heat.

I plan to make a sauce (much sweeter than above mix) and split it into two. I’ll add chili and cayenne to half to compensate for the lack of heat to keep everyone happy.

When I have comments from the taste testers I’ll update this post and also add the basic cook time/temp/wrap info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Petroni, welcome and congrats on your 22" WSM!

Your cook is well thought out, and a very good plan. I'm sure you're going to have a great time in your inaugural cook on your WSM

If you're able, would love to see photos of this cook

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have your plan dialed in.

Like Chuck said hope to see some photos. Good luck with your cook.

Back