Question on Rib Racks

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm sure this subject has been batted about but I haven't been able to find any info when I search. I have an 18.5 and am curious as to how many members use a rib rack and what are the pros/cons? What would be a good one for my 18.5?

I'm sure this subject has been batted about but I haven't been able to find any info when I search. I have an 18.5 and am curious as to how many members use a rib rack and what are the pros/cons? What would be a good one for my 18.5?
The pros; you can cook 4 to 6 ribs all at once. The cons; you can't cook them lying flat (this is a real weak con) I have two racks, and old brinkman that holds four or five ribs and I recently bought the Weber rib rack which holds six. Why the Weber rib rack....Cuz it says Weber

I've seen the one on Amazon that holds 5 racks. Is that the one you're referring to Chuck? I agree about going with Weber.

I've seen the one on Amazon that holds 5 racks. Is that the one you're referring to Chuck? I agree about going with Weber.
Yeah probably, I haven't used it yet. It's SKU # 6605, it's $13 at Home Depot, I got mine when I bought my S330, I may have got it free or if not free, a good discount when buying the S330. You might look at SKU 6469 as it's dual purpose, it holds Rib Roasts or Rib slabs. It's $18 at Home Depot

The brinkman rack can be seen in use here: Home Depot sells it for $5 / $6 - I've used that same rack for years, I just don't have any pictures of my using it. Robert T makes good use of his in the below thread and several other rib cooks he's done. When you see his rib-racked cooks, you'll see it can be done as good as it gets using the "el cheapo" rib rack.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?62261-Rainy-Day-St-Louis-Spare-Ribs

Just don't get this one unless you're planning to use it only once. It is a royal PITA to clean. I know Steve R knows his stuff when it comes to BBQ, but I can't imagine he uses this rack himself. Then again, he either has someone who cleans it for him or he's got the money to just toss it rather than clean.

Thanks Chad. I've read and heard terrible reviews about it. I'm leaning toward the Brinkman.

I roll my ribs also, but if you want maximum quantity in an 18" WSM, a couple rib racks and some stacking will allow you to get 9 racks of baby backs. I think someone may have done more, but I know I've done 9 with two of the charbroil racks that Chris linked to. The only down side I see to a rib rack is that you have to clean them. That's why I roll my ribs.

Is this the Brinkmann one you're considering? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00G6JXNT4/tvwb-20 If so, you might want to move on it soon, as Brinkmann is in bankruptcy and I don't know how this will affect availability of accessories in the future.

I picked up that Brinkmann rack (which Amazon lists at $14.99) for $8.60 on the closeout table at Home Depot a while back. But they have what appears to be the identical rack under a different brand (Nexgrill) for $9.97. . http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-Rib-Rack-530-0026/206414840

My rib rack is going to get a workout today, five slabs of ribs on the 26er - going to try and maintain 250 for five hours, give or take

4A7D0B5A-2A5F-4F6F-9363-100C081D072A_zpsvxkdmnbo.jpg

Back